Logo

Will not start no fire

I have an odd animal. 5.7 omc

I have an odd animal. 5.7 omc 310hp with a thunderbolt ignition. When you try to start it no fire. when you switch it off you get a brief fire.The boat is a 1989 four winns that came with a 5.0. I installed the 5.7 complete. when it was first installed it would crank. could the mod be bad? By the cost they really love them. If so what are my options? Thanks

"Mac,
It could be that the pi

"Mac,
It could be that the pick up / trigger coil in the distributor has failed. This would be alot less than a new ICM.
I had one last week that was doing what sounds almost like the same thing and that one had water on the inside of the distributor cap.
Dried out the cap and it ran fine.
I'm not saying this is your problem but it maybe worth a look."

Thanks. I looked at the cap an

Thanks. I looked at the cap and it was dry. I just can not figure out why it only fire when you let off of the key switch.

Could be a bad key switch. Che

Could be a bad key switch. Check for bad grounds.
Are all fuses and breakers good?
I've had this before and I just can't remember what it was.
I will keep thinking about it. Best I can recall it was real simple and received a big DUH when I found it. Does your starter have one or two small wires on the solenoid?

"Run a jumper wire to the &#43

"Run a jumper wire to the + side of the coil from batt+, Try to start. If it starts check the starter. If it is a complete mercruiser (T-BOLT IV)????? then it should have a purple wire to the outside small terminal. This fires the ignition system in start mode. Check to see if it gets batt volts during crank."

Check that there is power to t

Check that there is power to the yellow /red when the key is in the start position. .
This wire is a power supply to the coil. If there is no power while cranking the engine either the wire or the selnoid has a problem if everything else is in working order. Place a jumper wire from the + terminal to the side of the coil with the red/yellow wire and see if the engine starts.

"If your control quadrant has

"If your control quadrant has an "Off/Run" switch, check that it has not been inadvertently switched to off; by a kid with busy fingers for instance. I had the same problem with my 1996 Blue Water 4.3LX and it drove me nuts for 2 days until I discovered what it was. Talk about a "DUH" fix!
Good luck."

Back