Logo

Crusader 454 XLI fuel pressure

chelebration

"1997 Crusader 454 XLI that dr

"1997 Crusader 454 XLI that drops fuel pressure. No codes stored in the ECM. Fuel pressure starts at 20 psi. After 20 minutes run time engine starts to drop rpms. Continues to gradually drop rpm then stalls. When engine stalls there is no fuel pressure. If I switch to another fuel tank I get same results. If I leave the engine off for some time it will restart. After setting overnight saga starts over. Replaced electric fuel pump got the same results. Fuel tank was pumped out and filled with fresh fuel. Engine has three fuel filters, all were replaced. What's left? Pressure regulator? Fuel pump relay? ECM?"

Look for a hidden fuel valve t

Look for a hidden fuel valve that may be vibrating partially closed. Had that happen years ago on an inboard engine application.

"Update: I decided to install

"Update: I decided to install a test wire harness at the fuel pump to monitor voltage at the pump. After running the engine for a 1/2 hour I found erratic voltage at the pump. Did more checking and found break in the positive wire near pump. Repaired and tested again. Voltage at pump now constant but was fuel pressure would still drop below 15 psi at higher rpms and fuel pressure was erratic at all rpms engine warmed up. As a test I restricted the fuel return hose and fuel pressure shot up, engine ran fine. This engine has three fuel filters.Removed and cleaned the primary filter. Engine is back to full RPM and fuel pressure holds at 19 psi. It had only been five engine hours since the primary filter had been cleaned. Hope this helps someone else."

1998 Crusader 454 XLI last tim

1998 Crusader 454 XLI last time that the boat was used the motor shut and i tried to re-start it again but nothing. If I leave the engine off for some time it will restart but shut in a couple of seconds.

Back