Logo

Can you safetly disconnect flutter switch 43 OMC

chris_f

"I am looking for instructions

"I am looking for instructions on how to adjust the shift interupter switch (flutter switch) on my 4.3 OMC. I is out of adjustment and flutters engine just as I try and increase speed. Not when I shift. There are no directions for adjustment in Seloc Manual. Both Four Winns and Seloc say that engine should idle at 600 RPM. At that low of an idle , it shifts in and out easily. Is it safe,for the lower unit, to just disconnect "flutter" switch? I read that even well trained techs have problems correctly adjusting the switch and linkage."

"Providing the shift system in

"Providing the shift system including shift cables, connectors, remotecontrole are within specs and moves easily, there is no big problem adjusting the interupt switches. Note there are two. One which breakes and one which overrides the first one.
If I should list the things that makes trouble it would be:
1: Shift cable from bracket to transom. (Cable complete must be changed, not only the inner wire)
2:Activating crank at the transom. (sticks in the bearing cup. Change to 'new' type cup with grease niple).
3: Morse 'plastic' side mounted controle. Used in Bayliners late 80.(Replace with OMC original)
4: Sticking shift cable from controle to engine
5: (Perhaps this should be one?) Mechanic that does nut understand how the system works!"

"If I could just expand a bit

"If I could just expand a bit further on the 2 switches. The interupt switch should not be moving after you are in gear, I suspect this is a symptom of something else (probably from Morten's list above) rather than being the problem. The second issue is that the overstroke switch is there specifically to prevent the ESA from activating while you are in gear, it does this by 2 different cam's (forward/reverse). So I supsect you actually have 2 problems here but I don't think adjusting the interupt will help. If you decide to disable the ESA (even for testing purposes) you can do it safely by just disconecting the 2 wire plug (purple/gray wires). This kills the input power and the link to the coil, however you may find it becomes hard to shift out of gear into neutral even though your RPM's are low. Again I think you have another issue here, possibly the lower shift cable, bellcrank, etc."

Back