Logo

Crusader bogging out at high rpm

• Thread starter robert w. bradd
  • Start date
R

robert w. bradd

"i recently bought a carver wi

"i recently bought a carver with twin 270 crusaders. the boat sat for two years. sea trials went well. took position, first run 1 hr out the port engine bogged down from my crusing speed of 3000 rpm to 1800. ran good their but would not accelertate back up. changed fuel filter. the old was very dirty. boat ran good from milwaukee to cheboygan mich. two weeks later same thing. port engine bogged just like before. replaced fuel filter,(old one wasn't bad). started engine ran for 3 seconds and quit. checked fuel filter. bone dry. changed feed to port engine from the starbord tank. cranked engine and still wouldn't start. checked canister again. still no gas. adjusted gas manifold so the port engine again would be feed from the port tank. removed allen bolt on fuel pump. cranked engine and could feel a suction and no gas. removed gas outlet feed from the fuel pump and cranked engine. 3 seconds i got fuel. put system back together and turned her over engine ran great....one week later running at crusing speed slowed down, kicked her up few minutes later and same thing,bogging down again. this time i pumped the throttle a few times and entered port at 1800rpm. next day took her out. all ok.
note...when i crossed lake michigan the port engine burned 1/4 tank more fuel than the starbord.
any information would be helpful.
thanks
bob"

"Robert had the same problem,

"Robert had the same problem, I also own a silverton with twin 350 crusaders @ 270 hP, your problem is not your fuel but your firing mechanism form your distributors, If you are still using the original distributors get rid of them, they use the old point system on your distributor to create a spark. If you have a mechanic adjust your points on your distributor you will be fine for another 30 to 40 hours off usage, then you going to have ot readjust your points of have new ones drop in. Both your engines are burning fuel unevenly, because your firing mechanism is off. The fix is easy, By an electronic distributor, remove your old distributor and coil and replace it with the electronic one, I will post the model I used works great and you get better fuel mileage, The old point system send a current and 3000 volts, the electronic distributor send voltage to your spark plugs @ 28000volts,"

had similar problem on 327s. T

had similar problem on 327s. Turned out to be a microscopic crack in the distributor cap. Changed the cap and the problem disappeared.

Back