Logo

1989 30 overheating problem

• Thread starter Steve Burroughs
  • Start date
S

Steve Burroughs

"I just bought a 1989 boat wit

"I just bought a 1989 boat with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I went through the boat, changed water pump and housing, changed gas, plugs. At idle cools fine, cools fine when in gear with muffs on. When I put it in the river and put it in gear, it starts running hot."

Could there be some type of re

Could there be some type of restriction in the water path that prevents good flow in the river when the boat is moving but when the garden hose preasure is on it the water goes thru fine? I'm a newbie but just thought I'd throw that out. Was the water pump change out bad?

"Could be the impeller or ther

"Could be the impeller or there are 2 hat seals for the supply tube. If they are cracked or dry rotted, could be the problem. The impeller creates a vacuum that sucks the water up to it. If one of these does not seal good, will not let the impeller do this. With muffs on it, water pressure from the hose pushes it up to the impeller which in turn pushes it up the the engine water pump."

the pump in below the waterlin

the pump in below the waterline so it shouldnt need priming. make sure the impeller is installed correctly.

"Thanks for your help, I got t

"Thanks for your help, I got to checking and found out that on 2 cyl are getting fire. Changed spark plugg wires and it helped. Going to have a carb. kit put on to help with the fuel problem."

Back