i canged my points got new plugs and set timming
and have good compression still the boat wont fire. i noticed that from
trying to do different things to get it running that the fuel is just
puddling in the intake manifold and my plugs are completly dry when i
think they should be fludded
from trying to start it

any ideas"

"If You have fuel to the carb,

"If You have fuel to the carb, but no'spray' when activating the acc pump (pump the throtle controle), Your carb may need a closer look."

"the carb does have spray, i c

"the carb does have spray, i can see it spray

im concerned about how when i look down into the carb when the throtle is open i can see a pool of gas and my plugs are dry"

"Try to put the throttle lever

"Try to put the throttle lever between 2/3 and full while in neutral, then attempt to start by cranking a few seconds in a row."

Are you sure the valves are wo

Are you sure the valves are working as they should?Also may be worth ensuring you are pumping gas and not water into the carbs.

i have throttled it in neutral

i have throttled it in neutral with no luck

how can i check to see if my valves are working right

"Hmmm, if compression is good,

"Hmmm, if compression is good, I would assume that the valve timing is correct and the timing belt is there and hasn't slipped.

Is it possible that the ignition timing is off 180º?"

at this point im not ruling ou

at this point im not ruling out any thing
but i dont see how it could be
was running great and then next day it just wouldnt start

"Try taking a screw driver and

"Try taking a screw driver and opening the points to see if you have a snap in there, {Points}.. Also take Distrubitor cap off see if rotor turns while you crank engine over."

put in new points and set timi

put in new points and set timing allready

"Let's see if I can follow

"Let's see if I can follow this.

If you have compression and fuel, then the cylinders are getting air and gas.

You say you are getting spark and that you have set the timing. I'm curious: how did you do set the timing if the engine does not start?

If your valve and ignition timing are set correctly, the engine should start if you "pump" a bit of fuel a few times. However, if the engine is flooded with gas, then it should start if you put the throttle 2/3 or full open and crank up to 7-10 seconds (careful, don't burn the starter!!!).

Other than a flooded engine, the distributor incorrectly set, or getting bad gas or even water in the carb, I honestly cannot see many other reasons why the engine would not start even if it runs rough or if it stalls. Another thing you can try is to run a wire from the positive of the battery to the positive of the coil. If the engine runs, maybe the problem is the kill switch (if installed) or the wiring to the coil. I am also under the assumption that the coil is wired correctly (purple wires to the +, points and grey wire to the -)."

im getting gas through the car

im getting gas through the carb but i dont think it is going into the cylinders because it is just pooling in the intake manifold and my plugs are dry.
After cranking it a few times shouldnt my plugs atleast be wet

"If you are getting good compr

"If you are getting good compression, the air is obviously being sucked through the intake manifold, and the fuel coming from the carb should also reach the cylinders. Also, if you are getting good compression in all 4 cylinders, I doubt that the problem would the a timing belt that has slipped.

Have you removed at any time the distributor from the engine since the last time the engine started well?"

no because it was set perfect

no because it was set perfect before this happened. i have had it out every day since the begining of thr season with no problems till now.

im going to try to take out all the old gas today and see if maybe its just the gas.

i had the cap off the distributor just to check cap and rotor and change points

Is it possible that you have a

Is it possible that you have a two or more ignition wires swapped? Another thing you may want to look for is that the points are well grounded.

thanks for all your help
shes

thanks for all your help
shes back up and running

the timing belt was loose and kept jumping

Have 2.3 1986 volvo penta that

Have 2.3 1986 volvo penta that sat up for 4 years - had starter repaired - engine turns but no spark and no gas. Any ideas???}

"No spark could be caused by p

"No spark could be caused by points, condenser, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, ignition wires, coil, ignition switch, kill switch,a nd a few other things. However, if the engine has been sitting for several years, chances are that the problem is just faulty connectors (corrosion). Clean the connectors in the ignition coil, turn the ignition key and measure the voltage between the + of the coil and ground: it should be between 9 and 12 V. Also, make sure that the points open and close when the distributor turns.

Regarding the gas, make sure you put a fresh batch before ctranking the engine, I don't think you want that old gas in your engine carb. Also, I would not be surprised if the carb and the fuel filter are gummed-up. You may want to consider opening and cleaning your carb in any case, as well as cleaning/replacing the fuel filter."

"Morten, is that "Hummmmm.

"Morten, is that "Hummmmm..." supposed to be the sound made by a slipping timing belt?
biggrin.gif
. OK, OK, your guess was better than mine
thumbs_up.gif
so I will eat crow. Thanks God, I'm only human..."

"Sorry, just woke up, browsed

"Sorry, just woke up, browsed through and had my first smile with the morning coffee. Been fun watching, I have just been waiting for the Pertronix, but perhaps next time!"

El Pescador: Thanks for the he

El Pescador: Thanks for the help.
Do you know where the condenser is located on the engine/ I can't seem to locate it.

its located on the distributor

its located on the distributor
it has a purple wire that conects to the points

"Bob, the condenser (capac

"Bob, the condenser (capacitor) is attached to the distributor."

I've got a spark finally!

I've got a spark finally! The distributor works but I am unable to remove it or turn it if I have to.

I put a small amount of gas in carburator but no pop possibly the valves. Any suggestions.}

"You may have to use some WD-4

"You may have to use some WD-40 and either a wrench or a pair of vise-grip pliers to turn/move the distributor. I have seen that problem before in distributors that have not been removed for a long time. Once you remove it, clean and grease (or oil) the distributor surface that mates with the engine block.

Regarding the carb, make sure that the accelerator pump is free and that it squirts gas when you give throttle. If it still does not even attempt to start, you may have to remove the carb and rebuild it. Also, don't forget to run a compression test and set the distributor (ignition timing). And before Morten kills me
biggrin.gif
, make sure the distributor belt hasn't slipped or has sheared teeth ."

"I may be a peacefull a patien

"I may be a peacefull a patient man from time to time, El Pescador, but if You does not manage to get a PERTRONIX in this engine at the end, I may start to loose faith in You.
uhoh.gif
"

Back