Logo

Volvo trim

modracer

"I am working on a vovlo 290DP

"I am working on a vovlo 290DP, and you have to depress both trim switches on the shifter to make outdrive move up and down...Trim guage seams to work fine. You should only have to depress the trim button when triming the motor not 2, what triggers it? there must be a limit switch somewhere?"

"Assuming you have the square

"Assuming you have the square instrument indicating trim positition in LCD digits, and also in green or red LEDs.
That instrument has the "limit" switch built in. Normally you cannot trim up more than 8 degrees before you have to press "the "lift" or "beach" button to lift the drive all the way up.

When you say "both trim switches on the shifter", do you mean "both up and down"?

The cabling is VERY basic and the dash mounted switch in just connected in parallel to the one (option) on the shifter.
Can send a drawing if you like to see it."

I have a round guage not the L

I have a round guage not the LED one...I have to depress both trim and tilt up or down buttons to make the drive move...I have the trim buttons on the front side of shifter and the tilt on the back side of shifter.....thanks for the help!

"Aha, not that familiar with t

"Aha, not that familiar with the (newer) round gauge, but the way it sounds, I'd almost bet money that you have a wiring problem, a problem with the switches on the shift lever, or both.

Hence, look up the wiring harness (behind dash) and locate the three wires for "up/down" motion. Assume you also have an override/beach button.
In any case, if you find these wires, you can easily try the trim/tilt "stand-alone" and exclude potential issues with the buttons on your shifter.
It is pretty basic stuff, and as long as you are a bit careful, you really can't do any damage.

Go to www.volvopenta.com and download the owner's manaul for your engine/drive combo, unless you have it. In it should be found an electrical diagram over the tilt/trim wiring.

Sometimes on a boat it is only poor contact due to corrosion. Just moving the cable lugs can make all the difference."

Back