Logo

Volvo Penta AQ125 intermittent overheating

micronay

"After tune up and gain of abo

"After tune up and gain of about 5 mph and 300 rmp, I have developed an overheating problem. Below 3,800 rpm engine stays at 190 F. Above 3,800 rpm, engine quickly overheats. Cools back down soon after reducing rpm. I pulled the thermostat and it checks out ok in hot water. New impeller works good. Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix would be greatly appreciated."

"Is 3800 RPM the minimum speed

"Is 3800 RPM the minimum speed at which your boat planes? If so, I think that the raw water hose connector in your outdrive intermediate housing is corroded and the raw water pump is sucking air. A very common problem but inexpensivet o fix. Check this link to see what to look for:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/images/hg/sie/18-2778.jpg""

"I had the same problem and th

"I had the same problem and the fix was just as El Pescador said. When you are at high speed the hose connection is out of the water and sucks air, but at lower speeds it's submerged and sucks water."

good afternoon ELpescador this

good afternoon ELpescador this is Dennis from yesterday i have one more question please? what is the normal temp for my boat thats the AQ131C
18 regal

"Dennis, the thermostat in you

"Dennis, the thermostat in your engine starts to open at 180ºF and is fully open at 198ºF, so the normal coolant temperature should be somewhere between 184ºF and 194ºF depending on how much you load the engine."

Back