Logo

Omc 43 water in valve covers but not in pan

chris_f

"I had a valve job done on my

"I had a valve job done on my 1986 4.3, 30 hrs ago. Just now see "wipped cream" in valve covers but no water on dipstick. Seloc manual says could be cracked block, intake manifold water passage leak or condensation if running too cold from stuck thermostat(replaced with valves). Temp gauge says 165 deg. Engine runs great. Don't know what operating temp should be. Is it running too cold? If manifold leak, how do I find that?"

"165 seems ok. I think You sho

"165 seems ok. I think You should have a look at the oil quality You are using! Running 'cheap' oil in cold weather and water conditions may encrease such a problem. I changed to Shell Nautilus 15W-40 back in Norway, and that cured that kind of problems. If You may get something similar I do not know."

"Thanks Morten- I use Chevron

"Thanks Morten- I use Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 oil in my engine, but I think I found the problem. The intake manifold gasket I used was the new type that has a small line of a blue colored sealant near the edge of each port. No additional "permatex" type gasket sealer recommended.The manifold bolts were not very tight when I removed them. Also the manifold just lifted cleanly off gaskets, no adheasion around water ports. I replaced with old fashioned gaskets that have a ridge around each port. Used permatex and torqued to specs. Will test tomorrow."

"OMC 4.3 still water in oil pl

"OMC 4.3 still water in oil please refer to post on 8-16-06. I finally had time to pressure test the cooling system side of the engine. I put 24 lbs air pressure at t-stat. Presasure has held for 6 hrs. I have checked head bolts with soapy water. No hiss, no drop in pressure. Any suggestions where else to look for possible leak of coolent into oil?"

Back