Logo

1987 Alpha 1 Mercruiser 6 CylNeed ExHelpSat 4 Years

hawken57

"[b][i]Hello In Here,Here goes

"Hello In Here,Here goes.Purchased 1987 19' Sea Ray at estate auction.The vessel has been aground since 2002.Engine looks great a bit of milky look on dipstick.Please which procedure to rid of old oil & get milkiness out.Which oil,filter?I have alot of questions following.Mechanic I took to(Not!)Rescued her & she's home now.Thank you so much."

Milky oil is not a good thing.

Milky oil is not a good thing. It means there is water in the oil. This can be as simple as a bad gasket or as major as a cracked block.

If you can not use a drain pan under the engine and there is not the type of dip stick that the oil can be sucked out of the pan with a pump you have a problem as far as removing the oil.

Before wasting money on fresh oil you should run the engine up to running temp and check if there is more water / oil on the dip stick than before you started it. Of course you need to have water going into the engine water pump while running it.

"Hello Charlie, I thank you so

"Hello Charlie, I thank you so much for responding.It has been 20 yrs.since I have had a boat.I love to fish & do not get around well anymore.The place I took it to had it 3 wks & all I saw was areas undone & not put back together.Am at present looking for a well known mechanic.Am trying to do what I can although to keep the $$ down.Please which manual do you recommend?Thank you so much again."

The Seloc manuals sold on this

The Seloc manuals sold on this site as well as eBay are fine for the self repair person.
Good detail and easy to follow instructions.

Alot of information on the older 6 cylinder models depending on the manul you buy. Make sure to get the one that covers you model.
A good place for parts & tools is amarket.com .

The Seloc manual is a waste of

The Seloc manual is a waste of time and money. Buy a Mercruiser Manual. Clymer's is the best I have found so far.

If you can't read and unde

If you can't read and understand text without pictures then I agree buy the over priced Merc manual or the picture book clymer.

"[b]Hello in here!Charli thank

"Hello in here!Charli thank you I followed your advice & one lucky Lady I have no cracked block,the oil is sweet n clean as it should be!The bit of water is out.Thanks for the advice on the manual also.I checked it out & the directions & exploded viewing is great.Now I have to re-attatch the steering ass. to the engine in which was taken off at the wrong mech. I took it to.Another day or ten and I will hopefully be smooth sailing & fishing!May be back if I get into a mucky area.Thank you so for your time."

"Hello Phillip, I thank you al

"Hello Phillip, I thank you also for the info.on the Clymer manual.I am certain it will come in handy when I do need photo viewing also.Cannot go wrong having both for certain.Now I am in need of a canvas bow cover,back rear canvas cover...& I am in the web looking for the side plastic pieces to attatch the center canvas I do have.I am enjoying this venture soon to be in the water,hopefully!"

Lots of people out there that

Lots of people out there that do great custom canvas work for reasonable prices. Would ask other boat owners in your area.

Don't forget to change the drive oil if it's been four years! Keep an eye out for the milky oil problem returning. Hopefully it won't return.

My Mercruiser is very clear about steering mechanisms... gotta have the manuals. Good luck.

"Hello David, Thank you for po

"Hello David, Thank you for posting me on the drive oil and canvas! More work that I have encountered to do may be in by ice fishing time! Aagin thank you,smooth sailing!"

Back