Logo

Trying to sort out firing order For 1980 454 Crusaders

M

Matthew Braet

1980 SeaRay with twin Crusader

1980 SeaRay with twin Crusaders (454/350hp) and cannot figure out firing order. It is on the valve cover as LH 18436572 and RH as 12756348. Standing at the stern The rhs motor turn clockwise and the lhs counter clockwise but if you check the rotation of the rotor it is the same (clockwise) When setting firing orders do both motors start at #1 and then go clockwise on the cap. I am a little confused and could use some help. Thanks in advance. Matthew

"Matthew,

See attached:

"Matthew,

See attached:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">firingorder
[url=""][b]temp_firingorder.pdf[/b][/url] (58.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Thanks Andrew. Got it fixed b

"Thanks Andrew. Got it fixed before I got your post but much appreciated. I just took out #1 plug, found the compression stroke and then discovered #1 on the distributor was not where I had anticipated. Corrected the firing order and both motors are purring like a kitten. Thanks for the help. Matthew"

"Distributors in counter-rotat

"Distributors in counter-rotating engines ALWAYS turn the same direction, as does the oil pump that rotates with it. The bevel gears on the cam are ground backasswards on the reverse rotating engines to make the distributor turn the right way.

To get the firing order correct for the reverse rotating motor, the firing order is set up backwards on the cap. Simple as pie!

Jeff"

Back