Logo

Best Source for replacing 57L EFI Bravo 3 motor

jetav8r

Hi -

Need to replace yr 200

Hi -

Need to replace yr 2000 Merc 5.7 EFI engine (mated to Bravo 3 drive). Engine has broken piston rod.

Any suggestions for good source for Merc Cruiser New long blocks and/or Merc Rebuilt motors.

Appreciate the help. - Dave

"You don't actually need a

"You don't actually need a "Mercruiser" motor. Jasper and others sell remanufactured motors and they work fine, plus they have a good warranty. Find a Jasper shop and have them look for the pertinent numbers on the block so you get the same motor, then it's just a matter of swapping the accessories, intake/exhaust manifolds, etc. I have replaced motors in boats with Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo-penta and Indmar (Mastercraft) using Jasper motors with great results. Never heard of any problems afterward."

For the small amount you will

For the small amount you will save on a rebuild it is not worth screwing around. Buy the new Merc engine & be done with it. Do some on line pricing you can find good deals on new engines.

"Good feedback Thanks.

How

"Good feedback Thanks.

How about "Crusader" long blocks. Anyone with some feedback about them?

Also, have had one local marine shop suggest replacing with SAME 260 HP the 5.7 with a Mercruiser 5.0 which would be totally brand new motor with all new parts. What do you think about that option...... I'm not crazy about it... but maybe just being naive."

No to the 5.0. Most will repla

No to the 5.0. Most will replace the 5.0 with the 5.7 if the 5.0 fails. Stay with the 5.7 for the best value and preformance.
The 5.0 is going to work harder because of less power and will use more fuel.
I can't believe a dealer would tell you to make this change.
Nobody ever replaces a 5.7 with a 5.0 unless the engine was free and they had no money for a 5.7.

Back