Logo

A question for Joe Reeves and the whole board

pathfinderxlt

"Hello, I saw a post of your&#

"Hello, I saw a post of your's on MarineEngine.com So I signed on maybe you could help me out? Where is the model # on this motor (1986 200VRO Johnson? How do you find out the year? I bought (2) on EBay for $1500.00 with 100 lbs in all cylinders. The motors have no spark, could you point me in a direction to start to look for the problem. I got to you from someone who asked about a tilt problem. The top tilt pin on my motors are rusted up pretty bad, are they still available would you happen to know a part #. I'm sorry for carrying on but I want get them running to see if I got taken buy the seller. One more thing what repair book would you get to repair these motors? I'm very mechanically inclined but never worked on an outboard before. Thank you for your time and glad to be aboard}
24135.jpg
24136.jpg
"

"Have no answers I just wanted

"Have no answers I just wanted to say the motors look to be in good condition. Are you trying to start these without having all of the wire harness connected? If so this could be why you have no spark. The serial # should be on the transum mount on a plate. If not try to locate what looks like a freeze plug on the engine block with numbers stamped on it. These are the serial number of the engine and a dealer can tell the year of the engine from this number. This # is just for the engine it doesn't mean the rest of the motor is the same year. The engine could have been changed.
Did the person say why they had these motors?
The reason I ask is the forest service,DOW,DNR ETC had alot of these models and have been changing them out. Reason I know this is I found two just like them about 2 years ago in the local dump. They just threw them out. Can ya believe it?
These also had no serial numbers but had property of US forest service on a tag where the normal serial number tag would be."

"Model number locations were s

"Model number locations were sent via email with pic.

Model numbers contain a 2 number code taken from OMCs code which is the word INTRODUCES whereas each letter stands for a number. Example, a model number containing the code of CD indicates 86 (1986).

Spark must be tested with the spark plugs removed and should jump a 7/16" gap. No spark could be anything from a faulty stator to a bad powerpack, possibly a weak starter not cranking the engine over fast enough. The ignition is self contained and the engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator to energize the powerpack.

Service and parts manuals can be obtained from this site. If they aren't in the "Manual" section, contact Andrew directly via email. Top of page shows the hyperlinks of Manual and Contact.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc"

Back