Logo

Pressure in crankcase

narcosis

"I am new to this. I have a 7

"I am new to this. I have a 79 sea ray sedan bridge with twin Chrysler M360 engines. I noticed the starboard side engine has started to use some oil and now I noticed smoke coming from the dip stick. The crank case appears to be building up pressue. I have check the valve on the manifold which appears to be working. I suspect a number of issues bad rings, valve seals or guide. I am having a compression check done on the cylinders. Any other ideas

thanks

Narcosis"

...". I am having a compre

...". I am having a compression check done on the cylinders."

Good move. You might have a bad head gasket as well as bad rings. Are you sure the PVC valve is working correctly?

Jeff

"I pulled the valve off of the

"I pulled the valve off of the valve cover and I can hear the rattle in the valve, checked the hoses and they are clear. Is there something else that I should check. Either way I beleive that I will need to pull the engine this winter and do a rebuild.

Ed"

Time for a little Seafoam in y

Time for a little Seafoam in your crank case. That stuff does wonders for stuck rings.
Old engines get the symtoms you describe (called Blow-by)when the rings get worn. Do you run it alot? Do you change the oil often.

Change oil every 50 hours of r

Change oil every 50 hours of running. I found out that the previous owner of this boat would use ether to start the engine if he had a problem insead of finding and fixing the problem. Engine is original to the boat and there is just about 1300 hours on this engine. The other one was pulled about 500 hours ago and rebuilt. I tried some Restore this weekend but it might take a little while to see if it helps.

Either way I am going to pull the engine over the winter and have it rebuilt and gone through. I think its time.

Were do you find the SeaFoam I will try anything once.

Ed

Both NAPA and Advance Autopart

Both NAPA and Advance Autoparts has it near me. Coastal CT
I put it full strength into the fuel filter by sticking the gas line into the can and running the engine. then I pour some in the crankcase. seems to help.

Too much use of ether can blow

Too much use of ether can blow a gasket. either head or intake.

Back