Logo

Bad Gas

air0msw

"Just bought a 1994 Mariah wit

"Just bought a 1994 Mariah with 5.7 mag. It has not been used for last 2 1/2 years. Ran fine when I was looking at it. But after I bought it and took it out, it would only idle for about a minute then die. If you tried to rev it up, it would kill it. Previous owner said he winterized it using fogging oil and fuel stabilzer with a full tank of gas. Could it be the gas is bad or did the gas in carb dry up leaving deposits that when new gas got in there, they came loose and are clogging the jets? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate to have to pump out 40 gallons of fuel at todays prices."

"Two year old gas isn't go

"Two year old gas isn't going to be any good even with stabilizer and you do have deposits in the carb. That's the first place I would look. If you want to test the theory, borrow a gas tank from an outboard (if you don't have one) and connect it to the fuel pump inlet. Change the oil before running it again, too. Oil is slightly acidic and becomes more acidic after being run. If the previous owner didn't change it before putting it up, it has been eating into everything it's in or on."

He did change all the oils. I

He did change all the oils. I will get to pumping out the gas and changing the oil along with rebuilding the carb. Thanks for the info.

"Try dry gas in the tank, it m

"Try dry gas in the tank, it may have a bunch of water."

"Scott- Dry gas just has ethan

"Scott- Dry gas just has ethanol added and while it may mix in with some of the water, it's still old gas and it's not going to make it any better unless the tank was low, which it wasn't when you bought the boat. I would use a substitute tank (like from an outboard- maybe you can borrow one) at first to find any other problems and deal with the gas last. If the motor runs fine with fresh gas and has no other issues, dispose of the old stuff and clean the tank before filling it again."

Thanks. Ended up pumping out o

Thanks. Ended up pumping out old gas and took carb apart and cleaned it. It did have deposits in it. The carb was a weber. I had never seen one before. Was about the easiest carb I had ever rebuilt. Nothing like a quad-a-junk. LOL

Back