Logo

83 90 evinrude cold starting problem

classicbomber

during cold start.You can hear

during cold start.You can hear the primer solenoid clicking but motor doesn't start.So I pull top two plugs and pour in gas and it fires right up.After that it starts fine.Also when fast idle is put down the motor stalls but when driving and I slow down and stop it idles perfect.

"Pull off the hoses from the p

"Pull off the hoses from the primer solenoid at the carb ide. Pump the primer bulb, press the choke and check if fuel squirts out of the hoses. If ok, take a small hose, attach to the carbs and blow: Is the passage open?
If not, take off the carbs and clean the passage. This engine has no quick start, and will not idle properly until it has reached operating temp. Does Your thermostats work?"

"Try this before you get real

"Try this before you get real fancy. Get the motor running to a smooth idle. Then while idling, try the primer-choke. If you don't see a significant change in the way it runs, the choke-primer circuit isn't working. One last issue. If you originally had a carb system with choke plates, and upgraded to the primer solenoid type, the carb gaskets are different. When I upgraded mine, I discovered that the carb gaskets for the 79 did not have the hole for the primer circuit. I pulled the carbs, changed to the newer style gaskets and solved the problem on my 235."

Back