Logo

43L IO Merc stalls while cruising

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
"Engine stalled at 3200 RPM af

"Engine stalled at 3200 RPM after a 3-4 minute cruise. After it stalled, I could hear the water boiling in the intake manifold. The gauge was not above 140 deg. I checked the carb accellerator pump for fuel and it spit fuel like a King Cobra spitting venom. I had 12v on both sides of the coil but was afraid to check for spark due to the strong fuel odor.

I had just replaced the fuel pump, filters, cleaned the fuel lines, new fuel tank and fill/vent lines, also new dist. cap, rotor & plugs (.035 gap per engine ID tag).

The next morning I checked for spark and had plenty that stretched to one inch as I pulled the coil wire farther away from the block. The optic sensor in the dist. was rusty so I replaced it along with new plug wires because they were stiff and original 1987.

The beast fired right up with a set of ear muffs and ran fine for an hour with very good throttle reponse--never stalled or overheated--I know the garden hose kept it cool. It idles at 600 - 650 rpm. I took it to the lake at night and it started quickly and ran fine (nights are limited to 10 mph) but it did stall once after a 10 min. run when I pulled back quickly on the throttle; it seemed like it was not getting enough fuel since it sputtered as it died. It took a few minutes of cranking and throttle pumping then cranking it wide open throttle to restart; then it sputter started and ran fine.

The spark arrester is clean, the carb was rebuilt 2 yrs ago, fuel was fresh, the carb throat is crystal clean, but there is a crack in the side support of the spark arrestor stud bracket at the top of the carb.

It appeared to be interfereing with the butterfly when wide open so I gently separated them so not to bind. I cleaned and rebuilt the shift control with a new trim harness and neutral safety switch before this happened along with replacing the gauge wire harness from the engine due to the poor wire condition. Never disconnected the cables at the engine but installed new battery cables with tight grounds.

After reading several similar posts I think the problem may be a hot (felt hot and water was boiling in it) intake manifold vapor lock problem perhaps from scale build up. It has a new fuel pump and 2 yr old thermostat--engine gauges are new Faria and it is not running hot at cruise speed but does get hot (200 deg.) at idle and then drops to 140 deg. under way. It has had the lower unit waer pump and bellows and inlet hose replaced two years ago.

This year I have done a complete refurb after gutting the boat down to the hull due to finding the wood was wet mulch and the foam was water logged. All wood was replaced with CPES treated wood and 5 gallons of epoxy and glass cloth.

The starboard exhaust manifold is 2 yrs old while the port one is original and was welded after the block froze in 1996. Last fall while draining the block alot of chunky rust particles and sediment came out of the drain holes after I probed them a few times.

What is your expert advice?"

"My first thought would be the

"My first thought would be the carburator's need rebuilding. Floats can stick easily. Marine engines are very temperamental, I have found. If I ever have to replace my engines, I'm going to small block chevy's which I am much more familiar with than Merc's"

You did not state the age of t

You did not state the age of the risers. Also if the temp sender is in the t-stat housing I have seen them get a false reading because of the flow of mixed water when the man/risers are plugged. I recommend replacement of man/risers. If the cooling water cannot get out it's just as bad as not getting in. These items are (NORMALLY) only good for 3-5 years.

"Peter- He said he heard water

"Peter- He said he heard water boiling and you suspect the carb. What makes you thionk this?

Guy- The motor should be nice and cool after running for 3-4 minutes if there's sufficient water going into it. If the impeller and raw water pump were neglected, you have a problem. Also, your circulating pump may be shot and if you had rust chunks in there, they may have moved up to the thermostat area and clogged it.."

"Okay Gentlemen: 4.3L I/O w/

"Okay Gentlemen: 4.3L I/O w/ 2 bl carb died while cruising. I followed the hot manifold, boiling water road and found some blockage in the port riser at the gasket--just grimy crud. Removed both risers and cleaned passages with scale remover and 2000 psi pressure washer. Looked at them carefully and reinstalled both.

Next I dismantaled the T'stat housing and saw nothing out of the ordinary but removed some scale and install new T'stat kit.

Next I lowered the outdrive into a tub of water w/o prop and placed the throttle in the start position, hit the key and it fired right up w/in a 1/2 second. Then w/in 20-30 sec. it was idling fine and started loading up--too much fuel. It died and I immediately pulled the spark arrestor cover and saw fuel dripping out under the cable. I saw about 2" of bubbling fuel in the bottom of the carb!

Time for a rebuild or is there a float or fuel flow valve adj? I did 2 bl carbs 35 yrs ago; this one seems simple. It was rebuilt 2 yrs. ago by a local carb mech.

This all started after I put on a new OE Carter fuel pump. What's next? New carbs are $400-$500 and remans. are around $250. This one is 19 yrs old and has a cracked side brace on the air horn. Any info on least expensive and longterm repair route would help. Thanks, Guy"

"If you can get a Weber 4BBL f

"If you can get a Weber 4BBL for this motor, you'll then have the LX model and it goes up to 205 HP."

I installed the Edelbrock 2111

I installed the Edelbrock 2111 manifold and 1409 Carb (Webber with a kick) on my 4.3. Man does my 4.3 humm now. It was always was straining before with the 2 barrel. It uses less GPH now too. I'm still testing how much less.
A fun weekend project too.

Thanks Bill. I was leaning th

Thanks Bill. I was leaning that way but was concerned about the cost of the carb + manifold + cable bracket. A dealer told me it would be an expensive change. I want to do the upgrade this winter.

Can you tell me what you did for the throttle cable connection? My 4.3L engine has a 12 bolt intake manifold and so far I am only finding 8 bolt mans. Where did you get your carb and manifold if I may ask? For now I bought a carb kit to get me back on the water.

It has been a few years but I've been studying tha manual and blowup carb picture. Going to use my digital camera for step by step photos of disassembly for reference. It is great viewing the photos on a 57" screen rather than a tiny book. Also using a video camera to record comments on work as it is also going to help put it back together. Has anyone ever used lacquer thinner for cleaning solvent on hard parts? It strips varnish and gum right now. Thanks again. Guy

"Guy, I got the Eddy 2111 mani

"Guy, I got the Eddy 2111 manifold from flatlanderracing.com It was a 2 week lead time as it was special order but they had a real good price. The carb I got from speedunlimited .com The throttle bracket (125-457853), attachment hardware kit (Holley PN?) and the Eddy 1485 jet kit came from CP Performance.com I dressed it with grade 8 polished stainless allen head bolts. I also added an Eddy banjo fuel fitting/chrome fuel filter combo and a 90 degree nipple where fuel enters from pump. I'll take some pix and post if you are interested. I tried to go cheap and get a used 1409 off ebay. The jets were siezed and I tried to drill em and bugered the casting. Oh well. It was only a $100 gamble. Better to have new anyway when you are way out there. I figure I spent $600 or so, but I have saved at least $200 in fuel over the summer as GPH have dropped WAY down."

Back