Logo

Mercruiser 30 fuel injection conversion

N

Nver2loud

"Hey all, i have a 86 chris cr

"Hey all, i have a 86 chris craft with a 3.0 mercruiser and a 2 barrel....i dont like the way it runs and you always have to give it alot of gas for it to start, i want to be able to just turn the key, so i want to possibly convert it to fuel injection if at all possible to get a setup off a newer boat? Any ideas?"

"The best way to do it is to b

"The best way to do it is to buy a boat that has it. Sorry to be blunt but converting to EFI isn't cheap and your boat is 20 years old with a 3.0L motor, which isn't exactly a powerhouse. Never seen a 3.0L with injection and just taking the system from a different motor won't work since the ECM program is going to be for a larger motor and boat, which means that there isn't a program for your motor, nor will they come out with one. Ideally, the fuel mapping is tailored to the boat in question based on boat weight, motor demands when under load and drive/prop considerations.

If it sits for a long time between running, pump it three times and see if that helps. That's what I used to do with a '67 LTD that I had and it started every time in the middle of the coldest winter garbage."

"alright, well maybe there is

"alright, well maybe there is another alternative...the boat starts perfectly fine when its cold, like at the dock, but if i shut it off for someone to get back into the boat after tubing, i have to like floor it to get it to start back up, and then i have to rev it up and down like 4 times for it to idle again...any ideas?"

Back