Logo

Oil leaking from starter bell housing

ernaldamerican

at full power I am leaking oil

at full power I am leaking oil from just aft where the starter mounts on the 260 hp 350 mercruiser moter (1985 vintage). i had a starter problem and replaced starter with automotive starter. Curious if there is a shimming problem or something more serious and not associated with the starter.

let me rephrase that its not t

let me rephrase that its not the bell housing per say but oil is leaking from where the housing in which the starter enagement gear goes in. Its leaking on the outside or away from the engine in what appears to be a fin. Not sure if that makes sense.

"Not much there by the starter

"Not much there by the starter that can leak. There are a few things you can check.
Valve covers leaking,oil pressure sending unit leaking,
rear intake manifold gasket / distributor leaking.
If there was oil on the end of the old starter drive that fits into the bell housing the rear main seal could be leaking but this would leak anytime the engine was running.
It sounds like an upper seal that leaks when the oil doesn't return to the crank case fast enough at higher speeds."

"Sounds like the rear main sea

"Sounds like the rear main seal. take the starter out and if there is any oil on the back of the flex plate (ring gear/flywheel) than you have a leaking main. Oil will also show up all around the bell houseing - not just the starter area but will leak down to starter area.

Other - more obvious - candiates would be:
*valve cover gaskets
*rear manifold gasket
*Think the oil pressure sender is on the other side.

Make sure the crank case is vented properly as well as blow by gasses will push oil by the rear main if you're PCV is clogged up. However, i doubt your application has a PCV valve and i've rarely seen vent problems on Chevy engines.

My thoughts."

"I checked as you suggested an

"I checked as you suggested and there is oil on back of the flex plate. Looks pretty clear its the rear main. No leaks around the valve cover, oil pressure sending unit or rear intake manifold.

I had someone drive the boat up to full power on the lake and I kneeled down next to the motor (starter side) and watch the leaking. It only leaks at full throttle and the leaking was intermitant, and when it leaked it was about 6 ounces for about a 5 minute full power run.

My question is Am I doing any damage to anything if I don't replace the rear main seal until fall, continue to run the boat as long as I keep the oil up?

Appreciate the help"

"..."am I doing any damage

"..."am I doing any damage to anything if I don't replace the rear main seal until fall,"

No, long as you keep enough oil in it (and keep your eye on it, in case the leakage increases). Though it makes a mess, oil is cheap.

JEff"

Thats a lot of oil.

And b

Thats a lot of oil.

And be careful as your boat will leave a snail trail in the water when your bilge pump runs. Coasties would consider it "impolite" to spew oil overboard.

"That's true, but you can

"That's true, but you can reduce the oil pumped overboard with a couple of those big, sausage shaped absorbers.

Jeff"

Back