Logo

Mercruiser 73l diesel woes

kozy

"Hi guys, i live in australia,

"Hi guys, i live in australia, and have a 28 foot charter boat that weighs around 10 000 pounds. The boat has a 7.3l mercury D-tronic 300hp diesel, that is using huge amounts of fuel, about 40% more than simmilar motors. At present its using 57 litres per hour at 3200rpm or 2.5 litres per mile and it uses 2.5 litres per mile through most of its rev range, motor has only done 350 hours from new, blows some black smoke, soots up the transom fairly quickly, and Mercury australia does'nt want to know about it.same boats with 260/300hp volvos or yanmars burn approx half the amount of fuel. Any ideas??? Cant find anyone in australia that has any ideas or anything about powerstrokes? HELP. thanks."

"Hi Glen,
I own a F350 with a

"Hi Glen,
I own a F350 with a 7.3 powerstroke and have had a couple of issues with excessive smoking and fuel consumption. This can be just a sensor, it could be HPOP pump, could be injection pump out of adjustment. If you have trouble getting answers here try a good powerstorke forum. Here is one I frequent, good guys over there
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

good luck,
Vince"

"Glen,
If you can't find

"Glen,
If you can't find an answer by next week check back.
I'm out of town and do not have access to the address or name of he company that maybe can help you.
Their out of Denver Co and do alot of work and their own R&D on deisels. I think it's called ATS but I'm just not sure.
Maybe someone else has heard of them. Anybody know?"

Back