Logo

AQ125A distributor alignment messed up

dfg

"Can you please explain, my en

"Can you please explain, my engine is a AQ125A
I replaced the timing belt,plugs,wires,points condenser,but when i removed the distributor I did not mark the initial placement of the rotor and distributor. Now my placement of the distributor is in a position where I cannot put the hold down bolt into the engine. What can I do to realign the distributor with the bolt. I have the engine running now , starts, dwell is ok, idle etc., only I am in the wrong position with the housing?"

"Try this: 1) remove the d

"Try this: 1) remove the distributor; 2) put cylinder number one in TDC at the end of the compression stroke; 3) Place the distributor above the housing, align the rotor towards number one cylinder terminal in the distributor cap, then back the rotor counterclockwise 1/8 of a turn; 4) Slide the distributor into the engine."

"Thanks guys, I will give this

"Thanks guys, I will give this a try. I did order the Petronix Ignitor and the Flame thrower
coil, but need to get this in shape before installation. Is there anything that I should need to know when I install this electronics?"

"The installation of the Pertr

"The installation of the Pertronix kit is pretty straightforward, so you should have no problem."

"installed the petronix kit ig

"installed the petronix kit ignitor and flame thrower coil, no spark what is wrong??
anyone?"

"can you explain what wires sh

"can you explain what wires should be on the coil
is the black from the ignitor the only wire on the - terminal, and the red wire from the ignitor and the alternator wire attached to the + terminal (am I missing a lead from the starter?)"

No spark? Did you install the

No spark? Did you install the magnet sleeve correctly in the distributor cam and did you keep an air gap of 0.030" between the ignition module and the magnetic sleeve?

Regarding wiring:

The black wire from the ignitor goes to the (-) of the coil.

The grey wire (tachometer) also goes to the (-) of the coil.

The purple wire (ignition) goes to the (+) of the coil.

The purple wire feeding the alternator excitation also goes to the (+) of the coil. This wire is supposed to have a resistor.

The red from the ignitor goes to the (+) of the coil.

Ignitor and sleeve check out o

Ignitor and sleeve check out ok!
I only have a white(grey) wire
and a purple wire.
whats where did my ignition wire go?

"I did a field check of the ig

"I did a field check of the ignitor, this site has the instructions:
http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/field_test.htm
My ignitor was falty or I may have burned it by wiring it incorrectly. Put in a new ignitor, it passed the same field test. Red wire direct to postive side of coil along with my purple (ignition wire), Black wire direct to minus side of coil along with my grey tachometer wire.
Starts up great, checked my timing set it to 10-degrees at idle 900 rpm. Adjusted the carb idle mixture and set the idle rpm...finito!
This AQ125A purrs like a kitten, tested on water
soars 5000 rpm maxed and does 37 mph.

Thanks PERTRONICS!!"

"Welcome to the Pertronix beli

"Welcome to the Pertronix believers' club.
biggrin.gif
"

Back