Logo

1970 throttle control

glassmaster

"I have a 1970 mercruiser. Whe

"I have a 1970 mercruiser. When I push the shifter either forward or in reverse the throttle lever comes up and so does the rpm. the shift handle then stops, I have to push and hold down the throttle lever and then push the shifter lever forward to get the hole shot. When this happens in reverse its pretty dangerous at the dock.

Along with all that this has started happening too. When I want to go back to neutral it hangs up and I have to move it back and forth to free it. The cable that I have for the shift seems about2 ft longer than it need to be.

thanks"

"Clean & grease the remote

"Clean & grease the remote,Check the condition of the remote shift cable as well as the lower shift cable.
If you keep running it this way you can damage the lower $1000.gear case.
If you do not know the last time the lower shift cable,U joints and bellows were serviced it is time to spend a few dollars and have it done. If you let it go it can end up costing much more in repairs.
Unless this is a very nice boat the repairs can be more than the boat is worth if the drive fails."

"I rebuilt the remote, pulled

"I rebuilt the remote, pulled and checked the shift cable. I havent cheched the lower shift cable though..I will check into that.

thanks, Chris"

Back