Logo

30 ltr GM engine siezed help

buck

I have a 1988 22' Starcra

I have a 1988 22' Starcraft Islander with a 3.0 ltr GM engine. A new engine was installed and the 20 hr. check was done by the dealer. At 30 hrs. the engine siezed. Would appreciate any suggestions on where to start looking for the cause.

" How did it seize? Overheati

" How did it seize? Overheating? At idle? At speed? Was there oil in the crankcase? Water flowing through the cooling system? Oil and water pumps working? There are too many possiblities to list here, but careful examination of the engine as it is dismantled will tell the story. "

" Thanks for the response. To

" Thanks for the response. Too cold in Wisconsin to dig into the engine right now. I really don't know how it seized. A little background info: I purchased this boat in December 2001 as is. Boat is a 1988 22' Starcraft Islander with a 3.0L engine. Boat & trailer in excellent condition. Purchased from wife of original owner. On March 10, 2000 they had a new engine installed and all original accessory parts reinstalled. Dealer recommended that it be brought back for 20 hr. checkup which they did. Oil was changed and a new oil filter installed. Dealer test drove the boat and indicated on work order that engine ran good (4500 rpm) and shifted good. 13 hours later the engine overheated and seized. Husband has since past away so I can't find out exactly what conditions it seized up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You. "

" Well, if it overheated that

" Well, if it overheated that would seem to point to a cooling system problem. Fast oil starvation can weld the bearings without showing up as a big increase in engine temp. Again, too many possiblities to speculate on until the engine is taken apart. Depending on the type of damage, parts of the engine may be salvageable, but the odds say you'll need a new engine. "

" Question; are you SURE it&#3

" Question; are you SURE it's the engine,+ not the outdrive ???? "

" Bondo,
I can turn the shaft

" Bondo,
I can turn the shaft at top of the lower unit and the prop turns so I'm pretty sure the lower unit isn't siezed. I'm only guessing right now but I'm thinking that when the dealer installed the new engine that they didn't bother to check the impeller. Considering that the engine was 10 or 11 yrs. old at the time I would have replaced the impeller automatically. Not sure but that's my guess.
Not wanting to rebuild the engine and then find lots of other accessories or problems with the lower unit, I kept looking for a solution. I was able to find a rebuilt 1988 engine and a rebuilt 1988 lower unit for $1300.00 plus it came with 3 boxes of extras like gaskets, impeller kit, 2 starters, 2 alternators, etc. All I had to do was drive from Wisconsin to Cape Cod, Mass. to pick it up. Made it roundtrip in 3 days with only one speeding ticket (65 in a 55 mph zone, add $70. to the cost of engine and lower unit). Engine and lower unit was rebuilt by a high school shop teacher and engine was run on test stand. If the snow will only go away in northern Wisconsin I'll be able to install and start chasing the cohos and big brown trout. After thought, once the new engine and lower unit are installed, Ill dig into the other engine (between fishing trips) and rebuild and sell or just part out. "

" Ok Buck,
sounds like you&#

" Ok Buck,
sounds like you're headed in the right direction....i've got a "74" Islander,21', i refitted in 1999 with a 4.3l 205hp, alpha1...389hrs. in two seasons...hope to be chasing the browns on the beaches of east lake ontario this sunday....bought it in 1998, nice clean "little old ladies" boat...Very Original condition.....Now it's a charter quality lake ontario fishing machine !!!

Tight lines.... Bondo "

Back