Logo

Throttleshift command control problems

75searay240

"I just replaced the upper shi

"I just replaced the upper shift cable on my 1975 mercruiser 233 because it was broke. Prior to going this, the single command control worked fine. Since I replaced this cable, there is some resistance in pushing lever up in forward gear at about 1000 to 1200 rpm. once above 1500 or so rpm, then it powers up normally. reverse motion on the control works fine, also when I push the throttle only funtion, this idles up and down with no resistance, which makes me think it is in the shift cable area of the command. Upper, lower shift cables are new, throttle cable is new. Lower unit shifts fine at motor with upper cable disconected. Command control works normal WITHOUT any cables attacthed. Measurements at the motor end for the shift plate are at merc. specs of 5 7/8". Also after doing this work the idle seems to vary just a little, wanting to idle low 500-600 cold and idling about 750-875 when nice and warm, 175'."

Does this engine have a Q-jet

Does this engine have a Q-jet 4bbl carb?
If so check the choke linkage for free movement.
Are you sure the remote control is centered and that one of the cables doesn't have the remote a little off center.
If the throttle cable moves free when disconnected at the carb and the shift cable is still connnected to the remote the problem is in the carb linkage.
Is the adjuster on the cable on the carb end mounted with the cable above the mounting stud?

"Carb is fine, choke linkage f

"Carb is fine, choke linkage fine.not to sure what remote being off center would have to do, it sets in the hole in the console (top mounted). Everything is mounted as shown in repair book and same as taken off. outdrive, cables, boots are all new. Throttle/shifter lever still has slight resistance, all cables routed fine ,no sharp bends. Took remote lever apart, no broken or out of place parts. No showing of a binding wear.Not in throttle end-works fine independently, just has resistance when throttle and shifter moves in above mentioned rpm area. STILL STUMPED, HATE TO REPLACE REMOTE CONTROL EXPENSEIVE. ANY ONE HAVE IDEAS?"

Back