Logo

Propeller hub or engine coupler

ssfan

"I just bought a Crownline 210

"I just bought a Crownline 210 with a 5.7, 200 hp. The old prop was in rough shape, so I replaced it with a 4 blade stainless 20 pitch. We tested this prop against 4 others, and it worked great. I took the boat out for the first time yesterday, and it ran great for about 3 hours. We were tubing at about 20 mph when the boat lost power, and the rpms soared. There was no noise or vibration. It still shifts into forward and reverse, and will move under its own power until about 5-8 mph, or about 1800 rpm, and then the same thing happens. It loses power, and the rpms rev up. We had to stop, shift to neutral, and then proceed at idle back to the dock.

Is this the prop hub, or the engine coupler? We never hit anything, it didn't overheat, etc. This happened with absolutely no visible cause or any warning.

I'm new, but think this board is great. Thanks for any advice you may have."

"Scott,
Could be either one.

"Scott,
Could be either one. Try a different prop."

"Check the hub for hairline cr

"Check the hub for hairline cracks. Just a thought, but did you have the hub in the prop back wards or not seated correctly. Put your old prop on and see what happens. Doubt you have a coupler problem as they don't slip like clutches."

Back