Logo

Power Steering on 57GS with SX drive

"I have a Volvo 5.7GS with car

"I have a Volvo 5.7GS with carburator and an SX drive. Last week, on my way back to the marina, the steering became hard turning on either side.
I checked and could not find any leak. The power steering pump tank is full.
What would be the first thing to check? I thought the pressure valve could be the culprit but I run the engine and opened the fluid tank and I did not see any movement of the fluid. Is my pump bad? It's a mechanical pump run by a belt on the front port side of the engine.
Any tip from anybody who had similar experience with that engine would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Harry"

Have you checked whether the p

Have you checked whether the pump belt tension is correct?

"The pump belt is a little loo

"The pump belt is a little loose compared to the other belts. However it is turning the pump. As soon as the pump is turning, this issue has no meaning right? Maybe I am wrong.
Harry"

"If the belt slips, the pump w

"If the belt slips, the pump will probably not give enough flow or pressure."

"You are right, the belt is a

"You are right, the belt is a little loose.
Is tensioning something easy to do? I am mechanically challenged and any tip will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Harry"

"The pump position should be a

"The pump position should be adjusted so that you have the right tension in the belt, same as you would do with the alternator. The adjusting screws should be beind the pump."

The belt was OK and the pump s

The belt was OK and the pump seems to work fine. I contacted a mechanic who told me that the steering cable is starting to corrode. He greased it and used CRC and asked me to try it. It is still not working.
Should I change the whole steering cable?
Thanks

"A reasonable equipped outboar

"A reasonable equipped outboard dealer normally has a manometer to check the trim pumps, Try to borrow one and hook it to the pump outlet and check the pressure eng running and not running.
Your problem is not likely in the steering cable, but either in the pump (pressure valve stuck open) or actuator valve at the cylinder not working."

Back