Logo

Suzuki DT115 Cruises fine will not idle

D

Doug C.

"I have a 1984 Suzuki DT115.

"I have a 1984 Suzuki DT115. When I start it in the water, I have to keep the choke lever up to keep it running. As soon as I drop the choke lever, the engine dies. If I move the throttle very quickly from neutral to forward, I can occassionally get the engine to run, but normally it dies. If I am crusing and I pull the throttle back to neutral, the motor dies almost immediately. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you."

"Hi Doug
The idle setup is di

"Hi Doug
The idle setup is different to the throttle open setup. First try squezing the primer bulb to keep fuel pressure at idle. If its not fuel pressure and If your outboard used to run fine you probably have dirty carbs and need to clean them. The foam lining of the cowl can deteriorate and begin to disintergrate and I am told it can cause this problem when tiny pieces are sucked into the carb. Dissasemble and clean carbs. If its a new to you motor, maybe the idle mixture is set wrong (motor sneezing is a sign of lean mixture). Accessible from behind a blanking grommet in the front of the air box are the idle adjust screws for each carb, these adjust the air in the mixture wind in for richer mixture, From memory 1.5 turns out from fully closed is the usual setting. But I'm betting clean the carbs
Good luck"

Back