Logo

Engine ID

royboy

Contributing Member
"The boat I recently obtained

"The boat I recently obtained has what I thought to be a Johnson 140hp eng. that was painted like a evinrude with a 115 motor cover. I now think possibly the power head is an 115 hp head on the old 140 eng. The number on the bracket is 140tl78c indicating a 140, but the exhaust cover on the backside of the eng is the flat cover w/o the hump. Am I correct in thinking only the 140 had the hump exh.cover. Is there a way to tell the power head year and hp? The silver plug in the top of the power head is "392757 RPH" if that means anything.

Thanks"

That number on the top of the

That number on the top of the engine is the serial number of the engine. If someone doesn't let you know what it is on this site a dealer should be able to find the year and model of the engine with that number.

"Hey Roy....you are right, the

"Hey Roy....you are right, the 140 has the pot-belly exhust housing....And the number on the power head...RPH Replacement Power Head..OMC
replaced the powerhead at one time while the engine was still under factory warrenty..."

"Thanks Tom,
I think what I

"Thanks Tom,
I think what I have is a 115 powerhead on a 140 lower end. Its a flat back exhaust plate and not the humped one, but bracket numbers are for a 140. I don't care but would like to know what I have so parts ordering is easy."

Back