Logo

Water coming from small hole in transom plate

B

Bill Cunningham

"I was (and still am)

"I was (and still am) getting a few gallons of water in about 4 hrs running time into the bilge. I noticed water in the bilge the first day after the marina launched my boat, it has since slowed down somewhat (the water, not the boat) The engine is a Alpha 1 5.7 (1989).. The water is flowing in 'bloops' ? from a hole about 5/16 - 3/8 inch diamter that in in the engine transom plate right next to the water intake line (on the right side as you face the transom from the inside). I had the O/D off this spring, and had all the seals replaced (the oil was a little murkey during the fall change) In the spring I replaced the lower shift cable (thats another story) and checked all the other bellows they all looked fine, except the main which had oil in it (also the reason the seals were replaced)The main had no cracks or whatever that I could see.. The water only comes out this hole (looks like a vent hole, or a missing plug?) when the engine is running. There is a very tiny film of oil on the water, but not enough to show up in the discharged bilge water any more than a single drop of engine oil would in two gallons of water. I can't find this hole on any diagram or picture in the a seloc manual for the engine.. Can someone tell me whats going on, and how deep am I likeley to have to reach into my pocket on this one?"

"Bill,
Did you do the drive w

"Bill,
Did you do the drive work or did you have it done? If you paid someone take it back. If you did the work I need to ask if you used bellows sealer when you installed the bellows?"

The hole is a vent hole for yo

The hole is a vent hole for your u-joint bellows area. You need to pull the drive off & check the gaskets & seals & u-joint bellows. As the water is coming in through the bellows area.

"Thats what I was suspecting.

"Thats what I was suspecting. I did not do the seals in the O/D myself, and there was no water in the bellows when the outdrive came off (only oil..hence the new seals) As I had said, the water only flows when the engine is running.. Is there a possiblity the mechanic screwed up installing seals, and the water is coming through the shaft area? This mechanic also looked at the bellows when the O/D was off, and said they seemed ok."

I'd check the water feed l

I'd check the water feed line. If it only leaks while running the feed line may have a small leak or loose clamp.

IT IS NOT THE SEALS IN THE O/D

IT IS NOT THE SEALS IN THE O/D. IT WOULD BE THE SEALS BETWEEN THE O/D & BELL HOUSING OR IN THAT AREA. THERE COULD BE A WELCH PLUG MISSING ON THE O/D.

"Ooops Never mind I found it!!

"Ooops Never mind I found it!! I'll have a look and see it thats the problem... I wonder if the oring from seirra was thick enough to seal, or it moved (I thought I had it glued pretty good) when the OD went back on... I wonder which is cheaper the haulout, and re-launch ($155.00) or the chance the gimbal bearing and the Uni will be affected? I'll Be lucky if I get 25hrs on the boat this year with the cost of gas!"

If your talking about the larg

If your talking about the large 4in oring between the drive and the gimble housing it can cause the gasket to not seal correctly. It will eat the gimble bearing and probably cause water to get into the drive.

"Actually I was thinking of th

"Actually I was thinking of the small oring that seals the water port.. The big one was new, and put into place correctly.. If there is a welch plug, I will check this.. other than that, the only thing I can think of is the small oring for the water port... I don't want to haul the damn thing out, even it it costs me a gimble bearing.. Thats cheaper than the haulout and relaunch..whll only be putting about another ten hours on it this year anyway.."

"Well, it was a hole in the dr

"Well, it was a hole in the driveshaft bellows, they are replacing that, The Gimbal bearing seemed a bit rough turning, so I opted to replace it with the other stuff, now they are having trouble getting the gimbal bearing out.. They think some moron may have replaced it last time using locktite or somesuch sealer.. It won't budge... Anyone run into this before?"

Back