Logo

Outdrive question

aero3113

Contributing Member
I have a 1983 merc 470 and I t

I have a 1983 merc 470 and I think the reverse gear is going bad in the drive.I have a extra drive that is a 1:98 does anyone know if this drive will work with this engine??

"Keith,
Why do you think the

"Keith,
Why do you think the reverse is going out?
Depending on the models of the drives you could change out the lower with no change in gearing. If you change the gearing you may need to re-prop.
If you are having trouble shifting into reverse the lower shift cable may be failing.
If this is the case changing the drive will not change anything. You will still have problems with reverse if the cable is bad."

"the cable is new, it seems to

"the cable is new, it seems to tick sometimes when put into reverse as if a gear tooth is missing.could it just be out of adjustment a little??"

"Keith,
Yes the adjustment ca

"Keith,
Yes the adjustment can be the problem.
Try this test.
This is with the engine off and turning the prop by hand.
If you put the drive in gear the prop should turn in one direction and make a clicking noise, but the prop should not turn in the other direction.
It makes not difference if it is in forward or reverse except the prop will turn the other direction in reverse.
There should not be any noise when it is in netural and the porp is turned.
Back the prop up a bit then turn the prop hard in the direction it will not turn and see if it will slip or if it has a solid lock into the gear. If you can make it slip the cable is out of adjustment or the shift dog is worn.
It does not take much for the cable to be out of adjustment one or two turns on the adjuster can knock it out.
If you have not adjusted one of these cables before the first thing you need is a service manual.
I doubt the gear is chipped because you would hear this even in netural since the gears are always turning when the engine is running and they do not last very long with a damaged gear.
I think that what you are hearing is the shift dog trying to engage with the back of the reverse gear and does not have enough travel to fully engage or is worn out.
See if when turning the prop while in forward it will make the sound like what you are hearing when trying to get reverse.(the clicking)
You need to think of how the clicking would sound if the engine was turning it at a faster rpm.

If you have never had a drive apart check amarket.com. They have pictures of the gears so you can have a better idea of what is going on when the gears are shifted and why they make the clicking noise."

"There is and adjustment to be

"There is and adjustment to be made for this problem. Where the shift cable from the drive hooks to the shift plate at the end with the eye you will find that the post for it sits in a slot on the arm. A 7/16 wrench on the post will loosen it. Slide the post up to the top of the arm and see if this works. If it is already at the top move it down and readjust the cable. This is used for fine adjustments after installation.

Also, a commond misconception I see is folks putting the shifter in gear slowly. The shift from neutral into gear should be done decisively. This will alow for little grinding of the clutch dog and allow the interupt to do its job."

Back