Logo

Throttle hard to move friction screw 30

chambers

"3.0 mercruiser, alpha one out

"3.0 mercruiser, alpha one outdrive 95 bluewater 17' throttle handle moves as if it needs greasing. all looks ok externally, i thought I heard somewhere there is a friction screw on the control arm somewhere to adjust this. It moves stiffly in forward and smoother in reverse, making for some embarrasing maneuvers at the dock...."

You may need a new cable. If i

You may need a new cable. If it moves free in one direction I doubt that an adjustment screw is to blame.
The pressure would stay the same in either direction if it was being controled by an adjustment screw.
It may free up if you can work some oil into the cable.
This is not easy to do and most times it is faster and better in the long run to just replace the cable.

"Is there a adjustment screw?

"Is there a adjustment screw? I'll put a new cable on when the weather cools, or sooner if need be, but I'd like the path of least resistance, no pun intended, for the present hot spell. What a great site. thanx Charli"

There could be an adjustment s

There could be an adjustment screw depending on the model of the remote.
Since there are so many remote controls I can't say if you have one or not.
Most have a thumb screw or something like it on the remote control for this adjustment if it has one.
If the throttle is getting harder to move and the cable is the cause it is getting ready to break.
The cable will not last long in this condition.
Spray something like WD40 on all the linkage that has moving parts.
If this helps then the linkage needs greased as well. Use the spray tube that comes with the can so you don't get the oil everywhere. Also spray into the remote by the throttle lever.
Don't go any further from port than you feel like having to paddle back from.

"It is the "Quicksilver 30

"It is the "Quicksilver 3000 series" I don't see thumbscrew. I pulled the plastic cover off the control arm area in the cockpit of the boat and gave it a quich shot but I don't think that there is really any friction in that area anyway. The controls all are shiny clean at the motor, couldn't see any kinks in any lines. so a new cable may just be in order. To grease do I just use the WD40 tube and try to force fluid in the tube?
To replace this cable do I need to totally remove the control arm and box from the bulkhead? break it apart.. rerun it to the engine.. reconnect.. or is there some mechanical magic needed that is beyond my minimal to medium ability. Jim"

It sounds like you can remove

It sounds like you can remove the cable from the remote without taking the remote apart. Is this true? If so just buy the cable and put it in. The remote end is the hard part of changing the cable. There is one thing. The cable needs to be removed before you get a new one.
The cable needs to be out so you know how long it is.
A foot to long or short can be a problem.
So when pulling the old cable out tie a guide wire to it so you can feed the new cable back into the same place. Pull the cable out from the engine end.
Disconnect the cable at the engine and check if it is still hard to move the throttle before you do this to make sure the cable is the problem and not the linkage on the engine.

"Jim,
One more thing. There c

"Jim,
One more thing. There could be things held to the cable with tie wraps.
Check for this before you pull the cable and replace any tie wraps you need to remove.
You are very welcome and good luck."

Back