Logo

Intermediate housing removal with tru steerb74 i6 165hp omc

muskie

"I have a tilt motor problem a

"I have a tilt motor problem and can't get at it. It looks like I need to remove the intermediate housing? I have OMC parts book and clymer manual. I can't seem to picture how the steering cable is seperated from the housing. Is there a pin or a bolt that couples the cable drum to the shaft that drives the gear? The tilt motor will run,but only after I give it rap with a wrench. I think new brushes should fix it? Thank you"

"there's a screw through t

"there's a screw through the hub. remove the plastic cover and have an assistant turn the wheel slowly till you spot it. look again at the trim motor, it may be easier to deal with than the steering."

"No need to remove the interme

"No need to remove the intermediate hosing. The tilt motor may be removed by loosening the two screws going through the end cover of the motor. Note that teese screws even holds the motor together. Have sometimes had to loosen the transom seal and access from outside if the eng. room is too small, but normally from the inside. The motor may be 'stuck' a bit in the gasket, but with screwa out, no problem. Give it a slight knock."

"Thanks for your help Scott &a

"Thanks for your help Scott & Morten. I took the seal off and I can loosen the top tilt motor bolt from outside and I think I can get the bottom bolt from inside. The boat has other "issues", and I may pull the intermediate housing and the engine! I've owned the boat since '95 and the select trim has never worked and I have a rear motor mount on the port side sinking into the transom! I love the boat and want to fix it up, everything kind of depends on how bad the transom is. I'm will post my progress or lack there of. Thanks again."

Back