Logo

30 mercruiser engine removal question

M

mike somishka

"I have an 86 searay with a 3.

"I have an 86 searay with a 3.0 liter engine. The engine is shot and it needs to come out. Does the outdrive really need to come off? I have lots of room to slide the motor out of the input shaft. I would like to avoid any "un-necessary work". Last winter I had the outdrive completely serviced and would rather not mess w/ it. If anyone can advise, i'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mike"

"It's best to remove it. T

"It's best to remove it. The input shaft to the drive is inserted into the coupler. Lifting on the motor isn't good for anything and you probably wouldn't be able to just slide the motor forward without damaging the stringers or bumping into the front support.

Besides, removing the drive isn't really that bad of a job, anyway. You'll need to align the motor before bolting it down and reinstalling the drive, too. There's a special tool for that or you can get an input shaft from a bad upper gearcase. If that slides in easily, you can then bolt the motor down and check it again, then make the fine adjustments. If you don't align it, you'll be hating life when you try to reinstall the drive."

Back