Logo

43LX Problem

bikercom

i ordered a dis cap from serri

i ordered a dis cap from serria put it on and the boat would not come up out of the water at all. change it back to the old one i the boat took off great i change it in the first place because i was not getting full Rpms with a 17 pitch on a 19ft boat it's making me think that i need a new OEM one and my timing may be off. it's been very had to start and when i turn it off it's running on for a sec and when i look down into the carb it looks like it's getting way to much fuel.

"You can not tell by looking i

"You can not tell by looking in the carb how much fuel the engine is getting.
If it idles it is fine unless the throttle plate adjustment is open to far by-passing the air screws.
If the throttle plate is open to much this can be part of the cause for it running on.
The idle seems to work best @ 600rpm to keep the engine from running on in these days of high temps and poor fuel.
Lower idle gives the engine a better chance to stop instead of running on.
Try to get this 600rpm setting with the throttle plate closed as much as you can and using the idle mixture screws.
The more open the throttle plate is the more air can pass and pull fuel into the intake giving the engine fuel to run on after the ignition is turned off when it is hot.
The timing needs to be correct as well.
A better grade of fuel will also help stop the run on.
If it is hard starting the carb needle and seat may be letting fuel pass while it is stopped or it could be having a slight case of vapor lock.
When you stop the engine look in the carb for any sign of fuel leaking by the throttle plate.

Incorrect timing will not help in starting a hot engine either.
As for the cap,I guess the OEM is what you need. But if it runs on all the cylinders and doesn't mis why do you want to replace the cap?"

thanks for the great advise i

thanks for the great advise i have been playing with the idle mix. there is alot of fuel not getting burned it's just coming out the tail pipe into the water. i was not running stock plugs in it. could this be part of the prob?

"Why yes it could. The correct

"Why yes it could. The correct plug is very important. Unless there is a reason for changing the heat range of the spark plug the stock one should always be used.
If you run long periods at high rpm then you may want a cooler plug. On the other hand if you idle often a plug with more heat may work best.
But for all around use stay with the plug the engine calls for.
There shouldn't be fuel in the water at all. The carburetor has a serious problem if there is that much fuel.
Are you sure it is fuel you are seeing and not oil?
It's hard to believe that an engine with this condition would have a case of run on.
How well does this engine idle and at what rpm is it idleing at?
This can be why it is hard to start.
It's flooded or very rich after sitting.
If you have the know how, remove the carb and take it apart for cleaning and inspection.
If you don't know about carburetors have it done.
This can cause a fire under the right conditions if the fuel should leak from the carb to the hot manifold."

Back