Logo

AQ1 Mando alternator getting HOT

jrat

"Hello guys, I just installed

"Hello guys, I just installed a 3 wire Mando that a local marine mech. sold me for $80. On the AQ125, I have 3 wires. Red thick that runs to solenoid, Black, thick that is grounded to the block, and a purple blade connector that has a resistor , then plugs into a brown wire with a blade connector. All looks factory. My issue is, I don't know where the power output is on the alternator. Do I use a external resistor? I know where the ground hooks. And the purple goes to the excite right? Go here for a picture of the alternator:
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/MES3144M.jpg"

Thanks for any help!!!"

"The resistor should have a pu

"The resistor should have a purple wire and be connected either to the igintion switch ("on" position) or to the (+) side of the ignition coil. Yes, you <u>must</u> use a resistor.

The red thick wire should not run to the solenoid, but rather to the same connector in the starter as the red thick wire coming from the main switch goes.

The thick black wire should run to ground.

If all is wired correctly, you will see your volt meter indicating above 13V when the engine is running. Otherwise, something is not right with the wiring (or with the alternator)."

"The purple wire does indeed g

"The purple wire does indeed go to the + side of the coil and is controlled by the ignition switch. But does the purple need to go to the exc. terminal of the alternator? Also, The red thick wire is going to the terminal on the top solenoid terminal with the connection from the battery. What terminal on the back of the alternator does the red thick wire attach?

Thanks, El Pescador"

"Yes, you need the purple wire

"Yes, you need the purple wire with the resistor to go to the alternator exciter (sometimes marked on the alternator as D+). If you don't have a resistor, there is a danger that it will backfeed the coil and the engine will keep running after you turn the ignition switch off (although this does not always happen).

From your description, the red wire is connected to the right starter terminal . On the alternator, the red wire should be connected to the (+) (on some alternators, it is marked as B+)"

"Blast....El, I can't get

"Blast....El, I can't get this alternator to charge if I held a gun to it. My question is this, will a Delco 1 wire work for this engine? Any other alternator ideas?? I have heard that a 1 wire cannot be hooked to an isolater which I want to set up. I want to take the boat out this weekend so I can go to NAPA tomorrow and buy one. Let me know!! Thanks man!!"

Back