Logo

OMC 58 Cobra vs Merc 57

S

short_dog

"Gentlemen,
I have a '91

"Gentlemen,
I have a '91 Rinker 260 VEE that needs a Merc 5.8 and an Alpha outdrive. I have a chance to buy a '93 Chris Craft with an OMC 5.8 Cobra that needs cosmetic work for the price of a rebuilt 5.7 Merc. Based on engine performance and reliability what is the better decision? Would you buy a rebuilt 5.7 Merc and out drive or buy the Chris Craft?"

If the OMC has EFI there is no

If the OMC has EFI there is not much of a choice.
The Cobra is a very nice drive.
I like Merc's do not get me wrong. I have worked on and run them for many years.
But at this point I think I would take the Cobra.
I'm not sure of the engine but the 351 was a dependable engine for years.
I feel that the 5.7 and the 5.8 are kind of even.
Unless the 5.8 has the EFI then it is hands down a better outfit.

I dont think i would ever own

I dont think i would ever own a Omc again. Nothing but trouble. Go with the merc. Notice who is still making drives? It isnt Omc

Is the OMC a King? in other wo

Is the OMC a King? in other words does it have the cone clutch shift as opposed to the dog clutch style? I'm pro OMC as well (have 2 Cobra's) but the cone clutch is even harder to find parts for and finding someone to work on them as compared to the regular Cobra's. I hate to say this but there's no shortage of parts or service places for the merc.

"You may not be able to by a n

"You may not be able to by a new 'OMC', but who makes the Volvo gas engines and drives today?"

"Thanks guys,
I appriciate th

"Thanks guys,
I appriciate the input. It's not a king but it is EFI. charli made a comment above, "Unless the 5.8 has the EFI then it is hands down a better outfit." Was there problems with the EFI?
What is the relationship between Volvo and OMC. I know Volvo bought OMC. Is the present Volvo a mixture of Volvo and OMC? I have always been a fan of Volvo. I have a 125AQ that is bullet proof."

When Volvo bought the OMC fact

When Volvo bought the OMC factory they even took over the SX drive and the engines. There is probably more of OMC than traditional Volvo as of today. All parts that were made for the OMC at the factory are now made by Volvo! As for the SX drive the only main difference is the splines at the prop shaft! The prop itself is OMC!

"Sorry I wasn't clear on t

"Sorry I wasn't clear on the EFI.
This EFI system OMC had back then works very well if it is the same multi port injection as on the 302.
If the OMC has this injection system, there is no choice, the OMC is the way to go if both are in the same condition and the same money."

Back