Logo

50GL intermittently dies then fails to start

D

Doug Kush

"I have a 2001 Four Winns Hori

"I have a 2001 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a 5.0GL purchased three weeks ago with 140 hours on engine. Trailered it from Ohio to Michigan with a full tank of gas. Two weekends in a row, the boat has died on the water then refused to start. Both cases were identical. The boat had run great all day, some slow cruises around the lake but mostly higher speed runs pulling kids on a tube. Towards end of day we anchored for 20-30 minutes to go swimming. Boat started fine and stayed at idle. An adult got on the tube. As I accelerated, but before getting on plane, the engine died. No alarms until motor stopped. Oil pressure and water temp were fine. Engine turns over but will not restart. Sounds like it has the beginning of ignition but won't continue to run. Kill switch is in place. Checked wires and they appear to be fine. Last weekend the boat died on Saturday. We put the boat in the water Sunday to troubleshoot and it started fine. Took it out on the lake and it ran fine. This weekend, boat ran fine Sat and all day Sunday until the end. Didn't have the opportunity to check Monday if it would run. Sorry for long post but trying to provide all relevant information. Thoughts or help appreciated."

Bring a timing light next time

Bring a timing light next time so You may check for igniton failure if it happends again.

Back