Logo

3OL Outdrive stuck in up position

S

Scott Simon

After successfully running the

After successfully running the engine in the driveway for the first time in two years I loaded up and made the two hour drive to a nearby lake. At the launch I attempted to lower the outdive and...nothing. Neither the trailer or trim buttons did anything. Didn't make any kind of sound. At home I located and replaced a 20 amp fuse but still nothing. Any other suggestions?

Make sure all connections are

Make sure all connections are clean & tight.
Is this the model with the plastic tank?

"yes, it has the plastic fluid

"yes, it has the plastic fluid tank. All the connections do appear to be clean and tight."

"Do you have any idea of how t

"Do you have any idea of how this works? I can try to explain what to do but you you need some idea of how it works. Quick test. Get a #14 wire long enough to get from the + post on the battery to the pump assy. There is a round plug with three wires on the pump assy. A red-green-blue. Red is hot the green & blue turn the pump on when power is sent to them. This harness is from the control switch. Unplug it very easy rocking it as you pull. It's a water tight connection.
The plug will have two terminals facing the same way at like 9 & 3 o'clock(blue & green) the third at 12(red). Place one end of the # 14 wire on the + post on the battery.Put the other end into the 9 o'clock terminal on the pump side of the plug.
The pump should run and lower down the drive. If the motor does not run and the wire is sparking STOP.
At this point the motor / pump assy needs to be checked.
If it does work but is trying to go up, put the wire into the 3 o'clock terminal.
If it runs,let the drive down about half way then reconnect the plug and see if it works. Sometimes they get run to far up or down and need to move a little. If this is the case check the trim limit switch adjustment."

Thanks for the advice Not Me.

Thanks for the advice Not Me. I did manage to locate the problem...a disconnected ground wire. A neighbor helped me out with a volt meter and discoved the problem. It was then a matter of searching for the wire and reconnecting.

Back