Logo

Need help with oil leaking out upper drive

A

AC

Hello-I need help guys. I am a

Hello-I need help guys. I am a newbie-I'll try to be detailed. I have a 1998 stingray with a 3.0 merc 4cyl. alpha 1 drive. I have it on a slip. When I go to the boat-it looks like the exxon valdez around the motor from a oil leak. As best as I can tell-it is coming from the fill on the front of the motor for the upper gear housing. I have to fill it upon arrival everytime. It only seems to go as low as to the add fluid line but it does not look good floating on the water behind the boat. I did pull it out of the water and the oil appears to be coming from the right side water exit hole. I am mechanically inclined and with a good manual-I would not hesitate to jump into this-but can someone give me a good point to start or advise as to what I should look for here. I am assumming the oil is going out of the upper drive into the cooling system somewhere and I have a small idea what this deal looks like inside but if someone has a diagram of the cooling system real quick-I would love to see it-thanks a million ahead of time.

Oil can not get out of the dri

Oil can not get out of the drive and into the exhuast or cooling system.
Unless there is a hole in the drive bellows it can't even get out of the boat.
If the drive bellows had a hole the boat would be taking on water.
You must have a leak some place else.
For the oil to be getting into the water on the out side of the boat the leak must be on the outside of the drive.
Is there water in the drive oil?
Is there oil in the bottom of the boat?
Does the bilge pump run often?
Some of the mercruisers will push oil back out of the reserve tank.
If you keep filling the tank the oil just keeps comming out and ends up in the bottom of the bilge where the pump picks it up and sends it overboard with the water.
This oil will stay close to the boat for some reason.
Try leaving some air in the tank.
Only fill it half way and see what happens.

This is more than likely an op

This is more than likely an optical illusion. It virtually impossible for drive oil to get into the cooling system on a boat that is static. It is more than likely a leak in the rubber hose in the gimble area that feeds the drive and is running down the gimble plate.

Back