Logo

Transom Repair

wingman

What kind of methods have you

What kind of methods have you used to repair a rotted transom.

Has anybody used Seacast to redo a transom? If so with what results?

Wingman

"It all depends on if you want

"It all depends on if you want to keep the boat or dump it on someone that doesn't use a surveyor. The only proper way is to cut out the rotten wood, replace it, and re-gel coat."

"yes i have used the pourable

"yes i have used the pourable transome repair. It is great stuff, messy but you will have a transom much stronger than new. i would never try to do wood transom repair on a fiberglass boat. and i work well with wood. try it you will like it
Ben"

"Thanks Ben,

I've alrea

"Thanks Ben,

I've already started pulling my engine and stern drive.

Is your boat an I/O? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering how to pour a "liquid" in to my transom when it's tucked under the top rail of the boat. Is the compound fairly thin? Would it be possible to pour it through a funnel and a tube (kind of like a beer bong, if you know what I mean)?"

"ha, beer bong. I would love

"ha, beer bong. I would love to see that. Thats true engineering.
lol.gif
"

I repaired the transom on an o

I repaired the transom on an old transom for an outboard. I cut the inside fiberglass out only to get all the wood out. I poured the mix through two holes cut in the top of the transom about 1.5" x 3". The product pours best when first mixed. Have plenty of help and a very good mixer. I burned up a 3/8 drill quickly. Yuo will need at least a hevy duty 1/2" drill and a good mixer. You can vary the amount of fiberglass shavings. Less shavings easier pour.
More shavings srtonger transom. You can tamp the mix in place to fill ALL voids. GOOD LUCK
Ben

Back