Logo

Mercruiser 120 how to bypass the trim limit and trim position sensors

D

Dan Moriarty

"Have a 1976 aristocraft boat.

"Have a 1976 aristocraft boat. 120 hp i/o mercruiser, both wires from trim limit and trim position sensors are rotted through. I want to bypass them until i KNOW the boat works, works well. because the wires are literally in pieces, I need to know which wires can be cutm and which wires need to be put together in order to allow the trim to work, current position is all up. also I think i can replace both sensors WITHOUT pulling the outdrive, am I right can you change them( pre alpha one outdrive) I can get the the senors easily for each side, I assume all I have to do is replace and run wiring through transom. anyone done this?"

"Dan,
I have a 1995 Mercruise

"Dan,
I have a 1995 Mercruiser 5.0 Alpha One drive and my problem is not the same as yours but I have a interest in if the sensors can be rewired without pulling the drive? My trim goes up and down but the position sender is not sending anything to the guage. It does have a frayed wire, could this cause it to short the signal?"

"Hey Dan,

I have a &#3

"Hey Dan,

I have a '85 with a 120 HP in it and ran into kind of the same problem except it was my trim limit sensor was shot. Anyway, they told me I had to pull the outdrive in order to replace the sensors. So, the guy explained to me how to bypass it and it works fine. Here's how I did it:

Standing inside the boat, looking at the motor, I could see where the wires from the trim limit sensor came into the back of the boat, on the right side of the motor. Once you locate them, you should see where they have bullet connectors attaching them to another set of wires. Disconnect these bullet connectors. The wires that the trim limit sensor were connected too are the ones that you want to create a loop in, not the trim limit wires themselves. I just took a small piece of wire, attached bullet connectors to each end of this small wire, and connected it to the wires INPLACE of the wires coming from the sensor. You could also just disconnect the sensor wires, cut the bullet connectors off the wires the sensor was connecting too and then splice them wires together.

Hopefully I explained that so you could understand it....lol"

"All of the above will work bu

"All of the above will work but if you want to replace the sensors (they do go bad often cut the wires and leave the thru the housing seal alone, put the new sensors on and run the wires along the gimble housing, drill holes ever 2-3" small holes and use wire ties to keep it in plase. remember to leave enough slack for the drive to turn and trim out ... next drill a hole above the water line above the drive, put the wires threw the hole and make connection seal the hole like you would
a depth finder and bingo easy to change except mine have not gone bad yet."

"If Trim Sending unit is remov

"If Trim Sending unit is removed, then turn the splined shaft, my gauage will work. I was told that if you remove the outer cover it may be dirty inside, The shop said if the gauage moves try this before you buy new. Any one tryed this ?"

Back