Logo

Wonbt start every once and awhile

N

North Dakota

"I have a 2002 3 liter volvo t

"I have a 2002 3 liter volvo that starts and runs great. It seems on the best days for boating it simply won't start if you stop on the lake. Turn the key and there is nothing, all guages come on and the starting alarm goes off but the starter doesn't make a sound or turn. Moved the shift lever back and forth and also checked the kill switch, looked at the engine checked all wires and they were clean and tight, checked the ignition wires and fuses..nothing seemed wrong. About the time someone starts to tow us in it seems to start just fine. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. Did it again today....ran great until we got to the dock and when I tried to start it again it was dead. Waited about a hour and it was ready to go. Any ideas? Thanks."

"I would look at the battery,

"I would look at the battery, the battery terminals and cables from the battery to the starter. Then, I would look at the place on the motor where the grounds are attached. After that, I would look at the ignition switch and the coupler where the engine harness connects to the boat harness."

"Also, check if there is a rel

"Also, check if there is a relay between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid. If there is one, chances are it is corroded internally and you will have to replace it (don't worry, they are inexpensive)."

"ND,

If you ever find ou

"ND,

If you ever find out what's causing this condition, please post it. I have the exact same problem on my VolvoPenta 5.0L. It's been going on for three years. Like you, I've had it to a mechanic; of course it started for him every time. I've checked everything you listed, checked the battery terminals, and removed/cleaned the cables at the starter motor. Nothing helps. Sometimes I can go several trips with no problem, then it goes bad again and I'm stuck.

If I ever figure it out I'll be sure to post the solution."

Back