Logo

43 Merc engine wouldnbt start Big trouble

dave_c

"Ok, I know you see comments a

"Ok, I know you see comments and wonder, why in the heck does this guy own a boat, and I'm probably him!
Anyway here is what happen. Today on the lake I was pulling a skier and when he went down, I pulled over to pick him up.
When I went to start up the boat, it made a loud thump like it was locked up.
Freaked me out. I tried it two more times, messed with the throttle and moved it around, and it started.
Before if it wasn't in neutral, it wouldn't even try to start.
I was hoping that was the problem, but I am really not sure. It ran fine after that, but I pulled it out of the water anyway and took it home.
When I was still in the water, I took the engine cover off and It was like the outdrive sounded like engine was locked up or something.

Am I in serious trouble or what!"

"If it wouldn't turn over,

"If it wouldn't turn over, did it "run-on" when you shut it down? If it did, it probably turned over backward just before it stopped. Pull the spark plugs and crank it over, to get the water out of the cylinders. Cranking it with the plugs in place will kill your starter. Look for a thread titled "Change form carb to injection", or something like that. I posted a list of contributing factors to "run-on" and some possible remedies, taken from a Mercruiser service bulletin. This has been a problem for Mercruiser and it seems that it hasn't gone away. If needed, I'll start a thread or see if there's a technical tips section so I can post it there.

Not a major problem unless you let become one. Try idling for a minute or two before shutting it down, to let it cool off. Alsdo, make sure your gas is fresh. Gas loses octane as it gets older and low octane gas is much more apt to have problems with detonation and dieseling."

Back