Logo

Engine types for volvo penta 270 outdrive

klaatu9

"Hi. I'm new to this board

"Hi. I'm new to this board and boating. Pardon me if this question seems elementary. I recently purchased a 1968 17'searay. Not sure if it has another name or number. Suffice it to say that I bought it because the hull is in superior shape and has a look that I like. However,the motor,an AQ130C,had a blown headgasket which led to a cracked head. I bought a new head for it,but the boat has sat for a while and the previous owners never drained the bad oil out of the block or gas out of the tank. I'm guessing from the looks that the motor is trash without a complete rebuild. What I would like to know is what other engines would fit the 270 outdrive(which is in excellent shape)without too many modifications? I'm on a budget so anything high dollar is out. I would like to have this boat in the water by next spring so I have a little time to mess with it. Thanks for any help that comes along."

"Your best bet is a marinized

"Your best bet is a marinized B21 or B23 Volvo engine with dual carbs, like the ones in the AQ140 (125HP) and AQ145 (138HP) packages. They are all fresh water cooled OHC engines, and your current bellhousing, flywheel and vibration damper will fit either of them. However, you will need a different exhaust manifold, as well as a different exhaust pipe between the exhaust manifold and the transom shield."

Thank you El Pescador. I was

Thank you El Pescador. I was also wondering if a 4cyl. Ford might work without too much modification? I can get one of those pretty cheap right now.

"El Pescador, just being nosy

"El Pescador, just being nosy but does the B21 or B23 then require you to put in a motor mount system or are they istalled just like the AQ130C without any motor mounts. I got mine on the water after dealing with the carbs and gearbox on the 270 and the oil filled with water (Head gasket or crack, under investigation). thinking about replacing rather than rebuild."

"Jim, most of the B21 or B23 m

"Jim, most of the B21 or B23 marine Volvos (AQ140, 145, etc) come with front mounts, and some like the AQ125 don't. The safest way is, in my opinion, to have the engine installed with front mounts."

Back