Logo

Cracked 318 blocks

stuart

Would anyone have any stories

Would anyone have any stories about using an automotive block to replace a cracked marine block.

All other parts would be from the marine engine.

This is for my 31 ft Trojan Sea Skiff that will only be used for crusing and not at wide open throttle

Thanks

"The main difference is brass

"The main difference is brass 'freeze out' plugs.
The cam is different, as well.

Jeff"

DO NOT USE AN AUTOMOTIVE FUEL

DO NOT USE AN AUTOMOTIVE FUEL PUMP. Without the captured nipple the automotive pumps are deadly!

"Youre right, Jeff. There is a

"Youre right, Jeff. There is a nipple on the side of marine fuel pumps that capures any fuel that gets past a ruptured internal diaphram in the pump. The best place to dump that fuel is into the carb where it will be consumed by the engine.
The most common fuel pump failure mechanism is by ruptured diaphram. I use a clear hose between the nipple and the flame arrestor so I can see gas in the hose and know when it has ruptured. Alot of times the diaphram leaks before it actually breaks. The engine will still run but you wont have the fuel pressure you should. The fuel pump is not repairable so if the diaphram breaks you will need a new pump. Automotive fuel pumps just dump the fuel leaking past a broken diaphram onto the ground where you would see and smell it. That cant happen in a boat because the ground is the bilge and putting gas into the bilge is deadly."

Back