Logo

Chrysler 318 Cooling System

G

Garrett Sheehan

I'm trying to track down a

I'm trying to track down a schematic/photograph for the cooling system of an early 1970's 318 Chrysler marine engine. The engine has a fresh water cooling system as well as a raw water system. Any hintsinfo would be helpful.

"Last season I re-powered with

"Last season I re-powered with a factory-remanufactured 318. After pulling the engine out of the boat. I photographed and labeled the plumbing in a powerpoint file, so I would remember how to put it back together.

The powerpoint slides are available at the following link. Here is a sample image:
23716.jpg

http://www.coastalcafe.com/images/trojan_26/86_Chrysler_318fwc_pumbing.htm

Good Luck, I hope this helps. I'll try to answer any questions you might have about the photos."

"Here is a scan of the cooling

"Here is a scan of the cooling system schematic from a service bulletin dated Feb 1968. This is not how my '86 LM318 was plumbed, which is shown in the prior post. From the early 1970's service bulletins it looks like there were a number of overheating problems with the Late 1960's and early 1970's engines.
23721.jpg
"

When working on a chyrsler LA

When working on a chyrsler LA watch out for a vapor lock at the back end. Bleed it thru the highest fitting.

"The thermostat housing is the

"The thermostat housing is the highest point on the engine. So it can get air in it. With air around the thermostat it doesn't open properly. The engine can run at low rpm on just the bypass flow and once you give it the go, it overheats. Now the boiling coolant vapor locks the pump.
How does air get into the system? I have a theory on that too. You fill the system. It runs great. As The engine heats up, the coolant expands, the excess spills out the overflow spout. Now when the engine cools off it sucks air back in through the overflow spout.
Solution: mount a cheap overflow tank near the engine when the engine heats up the overflow is caputed, when the engine cools off coolant rather than air goes back in the overflow spout.
Air stays out, engine cools properly.
Worked for me."

Back