Logo

Teleflex Morse Steering replacement recommendations

93regal

"The steering on my boat is sl

"The steering on my boat is sloppy sloppy sloppy. I know it is a single cable, rotary helm teleflex morse for power steering. That's all I know about it.

There is slop in the steering wheel. When going slow (no wake zone), the boat crabs back and forth through the water.

I want to replace it with something better that does not do this. But I don't know what is compatible, or recommended.

The boat is a 1993 176SE (18ft?) Regal with 4.3LX Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II stern drive.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to repair what I have, or a recommend a replacement system, I'd appreciate it

Thanks in advance for reading"

"Remove the cable from the hel

"Remove the cable from the helm and inspect it for wear. If the gear teeth on the cable are worn, replace that only (it should have a part number on the rack) and if it's the helm, you can get a direct replacement for that, too. It may need tightening at the power steering assist. You'll need to inspect any connections on the cable and look at the assembly behind the motor. The linkage may need tightening. My guess is that it wasn't lubricated every year as it should be and this is the result.

Just about any marine parts dealer should be able to get what you need.

Look for movement/sloppiness at the linkage behind the motor and have someone move the sterndrive back and forth. If this is tight, it's probably that the helm is worn and you'll need to replace parts, accordingly.

Do you have a trim tab on it? that can help get rid of the vauge steering at low speeds.

Did you get the head back yet?

"

"Jim N, That was exactly what

"Jim N, That was exactly what I was looking for. I will do the things you list this afternoon and post an update.

This boat is gonna hum!

*** the head came back and I updated the thread."

Check the condition of the gim

Check the condition of the gimble ring pivot points.

"I would add that, independent

"I would add that, independent of your steering play issue, some degree of yawing back and forth at very slow speed is normal on some deep vee boats."

Back