Logo

43LX canbt get full RPMS

bikercom

I have a 1996 Caravelle 19ft 2

I have a 1996 Caravelle 19ft 2400lbs running a 17 pitch 3 blade have i started with a 21. at wot i'm only getting maybe 4200 rpms. what would cause me not to be getting full rpms it should be easy with a 17 pitch plaese help

"If you started the season out

"If you started the season out with the 21 and are now down to a 17 you may have extra weight in the boat in the form of water under the floor. Some boats can trap water under the false floor if the boat has this..There are couple of things to look at and for. If the boat is sitting lower in the water than normal. If the boat is very slow getting up on plane.
If you think this could be part of the problem,look in the front of the engine compartment in the bottom center area.
There should be a drain of some type in this area for the area under the floor to drain.
Push a coat hanger or something like that into the opening and make sure it is clear. If you have this on a trailer just shake the boat and listen for water moving in the boat.
The trailer is best for removing the water should it be there because you can raise the front so it will drain back.
If you have a small drain hole for this it could take awhile for all the water to get out."

i have only had the boat for a

i have only had the boat for about 4 weeks i the guy i got the boat from sayed it was always slow to get out of the water. merc says go with a 17 for that lbs of boat. when i got the boat it was only doing 3800rpms wot with the 21. now i'm up to 4200 with the 17 but it seems like it should be doing more then that.

"Well, The rpm can climb as mu

"Well, The rpm can climb as much as 200rpm for each decrease in pitch or as little as 50rpm.
Depends on many things. Boat style,type of prop,gear set in the drive,horse power etc. When you changed the prop did you gain or loose speed or stay the same?
How are you using the boat the most?(sking,cruising,racing your budds)"

"Is the gas old? Is it the sam

"Is the gas old? Is it the same gas as last year, when it was put away for the season? Check the fuel filter(s), make sure there isn't water in the gas and replace the fuel/water separator if you didn't already. Fill the new one before installing it so you don't run the fuel pump dry."

wakeboarding mostly. it's

wakeboarding mostly. it's about the 3rd tank of gas changed the water/fuel sep. but did not fill it. maybe my fuel pump is going out.

It would stammer if it was the

It would stammer if it was the fuel pump. It wouldn't keep running at top speed.
So to get the rpm up you need to go down even more on pitch.
You may or may not loose speed but the boat will get out of the water faster. If the rpm does come up the speed should stay the same. The bad thing is the engine will be turning higher rpm at a slower speed. This again may or may not be bad. The higher rpm can mean more fuel for just running around. But the engine may not be working as hard as it is at the lower rpm so it may need less fuel.
Hard to understand I know.
It's kind of like pulling a hill in 4th gear. You need to have the throttle open more to keep going.
But if you down shift you do not need as much throttle which could mean less fuel is needed to get up the hill.
The problem is not all engines will act the same in a boat. You just need to find what works best for you. Some boats will only do so much and that's it. Either get a bigger engine or live with it. It sounds like there is not anything wrong with the engine. You just want more than it has to give. Have you checked the gear set? Someone could have installed the wrong gearing for that engine.
Now that will make it a real dog if the gears are not correct.

i ordered a dis cap from serri

i ordered a dis cap from serria put it on and the boat would not come up out of the water at all. change it back to the old one i the boat took off great it's making me think that i need a new OEM one and my timing may be off. it's been very had to start and when i turn it off it's running on for a sec and when i look down into the carb it looks like it's getting way to much fuel.

"it may be a stupid question,

"it may be a stupid question, but have you adjusted the trim up and down to get more RPM's or just have the trim all the way down and plowing through?"

Back