Logo

Volvo Penta 43L #1 cylinder dead

R

Rafael

"Hello,
My Mechanic did a com

"Hello,
My Mechanic did a compression test on my 4.3L and told me my #1 cylinder had 0 compression. I did a compression test 3 days later and had a different cylinder with 0 compression. The cylinder that failed was the center plug on the port side. Can some one tell me which is the #1 cylinder and which cylinder # was the one I found that failed.
Thanks,
Rafael"

"Cylinder numbering (forwa

"Cylinder numbering (forward to aft)

Port side: 1, 3, 5

Starboard side: 2, 4, 6

Sounds to me like either the clearance between the pushrods and the rockers need to be readjusted, or some of your lifters are either defective or not primed."

Thank you very much. I suspec

Thank you very much. I suspected (and hoping) that the number one was on the port side since it now appears the number 3 was the one I found to have zero compression also on the port side. When I was warming the engine I found the starboard side cool but the port side extremely hot to the point where it should have over heated. I'm hoping the excess heat was causing the valves to stick intermittently. I am replacing exhaust and riser and redoing the compression test. Crossing my fingers that's the problem.
Thanks again.
Rafael

"IF there's no compression

"IF there's no compression in BOTH # 1 and # 3, then the head gasket is blown through between these two cylinders. Yank the head--and DON'T run it or you'll fire groove the block (if you haven't already. Let's hope not, for that means a rebuild.)

Jeff"

"When the Mechanic did the com

"When the Mechanic did the compression test, the # 1 had zero compression and the #3 had compression.
When I did the compression test the #1 had 130PSI, the #3 had 0 and the #6 had 140. I think it's steaky valves due to over heating on that side.
Rafael"

"Rafael, just back the adjusti

"Rafael, just back the adjusting tappet screws a little in the cylinder with zero compression and the problem will likely disappear."

"El Pescador, Once I replace

"El Pescador, Once I replace the exhaust and riser, I'll try the compression test again. If they are still sticking, I'll try adjusting the tappet screws. Thanks for the tip!
Rafael"

Back