Logo

Small leak

tswanson

"Does any company make a produ

"Does any company make a product that a person could add to the oil in the crank case in case there may be a small leak some where letting a small amount of water in? long question sorry. and if the product is out there, how effective is it? checked the compression and it is good and all within a few pounds of one and other. It is a 7.4 Bravo II raw water cooled. Thanks Tim"

"any 'stop leak' stuff

"any 'stop leak' stuff you can get at autozone might help. It basically just makes your gaskets expand some. Takes awhile to work though, if it does at all."

"Not sure if i completely unde

"Not sure if i completely understand the question, but if you are trying to prevent water from entering the motor... this is not a great approach. If you have water in your oil, you've got bigger problems that need to be solved asap. Recommend you diagnose the leak... manifolds, risers, head gaskets..."

"I am really struggleing with

"I am really struggleing with this boat. I bought it right but un-sure how much to put back into it. It is a 1978 26' Sea ray Sundancer. The boat itself is in good shape. The wood needs to be redone. The engine is 88-92 Bravo II 7.4. The lower unit of the out-drive (Bravo II) is brand new. Pervious owner spent 4,700 for this. Hoping the water has stop coming in the motor. Changed the riser and manifold gaskets. Guess the next move would be to pull the heads and replace the head gaskets and have the heads checked. What would be the chances of have a cracked inside the block in a water jacket? I really do not know what esle to do with this boat. Cost a little to much to be a lawn ornament. Any and all suggustions would be great. I really like the boat. Know a local Machinist who has been building engines for many years. He is really good. May have him tear the engine down. Thanks"

GM engines that old have issue

GM engines that old have issues with intake and water ports on the heads leaking. No matter how well you rinse GM v motors the water still puddles in the thermostat water port on the manifold and in the joint of the head and manifold. Pull the intake first and check these areas for severe corrosion. If evidence leaking is found with severe corrosion then these items will need replacement. Yes you can crack a block or head internally and this will leak water into the motor with no outboard cracks.

"You can fill the block with w

"You can fill the block with water and block off all the outlets/ inlets (with plugs and ingenuity). Then put 15 psi air pressure on it and wait a few hours. If there's a leak you'll see water atop the oil. If not, say a silent prayer and rip the exhaust manifolds off.

Jeff"

Back